DVB Source filter has inexplicably stopped working, but only on certain channels

neophyte

Hello

Tuner:   TBS 6281SE Dual DVB-T/T2BDA tuners

Graphics card;  Intel HD Graphics 630 (integrated)

Suddenly and for no obvious reason the DVB Source filter yesterday became unable to detect (except fleetingly) four out of the ten channels which up until now I have been receiving faultlessly from our local transmitter.  Despite the screen being blank the status bar still displays all the same info as always, just as do the other - functioning - channels;  but no picture.

DVB Source Properties displays "Graph too late" message and constantly switches between '???' and blank space.  As soon as I switch to any of the functioning channels everything in Properties becomes as normal - then reverts to blanks and zeroes the moment I switch back to any of the non-funtioning channels.

I have spent two hours or more trying to follow-up all the trouble-shooting info I could find on the DVBV forum, wiki, etc.  I have also installed/reinstalled DVBViewer (twice), and run channel-scans (ditto).  All to no avail.  So now I've admitted defeat.

Help would be appreciated

support.zip

Edited by neophyte
correcting typo
vor 3 Stunden schrieb neophyte:

Suddenly and for no obvious reason the DVB Source filter yesterday became unable to detect (except fleetingly) four out of the ten channels which up until now I have been receiving faultlessly from our local transmitter.

It looks like DVBViewer gets corrupted data for these four channels, as if reception is heavily disturbed. Are they located on the same frequency?

19 hours ago, Griga said:

It looks like DVBViewer gets corrupted data for these four channels, as if reception is heavily disturbed. Are they located on the same frequency?

No. 

(BTW I have a correction to make:  there are in total six channels affected - it's just that two of them only broadcast for a limited time each day so I failed to include them).

Three are on 506K and the other three on 530K.  But on 530K are also two of the channels which are problem-free. 

The six affected channels have in common that (regardless of frequency) they are 1920 x 1080i screen resolution while the unaffected ones are 1280 x 720p.  The affected group are transmitted from Finland and the unaffected group from Sweden, but all alike are relayed via our single local transmission-station.

Please record one of the affected channels. One minute will do. Does the recording play well in DVBViewer / in other applications like VLC or do you encounter the same problem?

You can upload the recording to WeTransfer. Use the menu button with three dots (...) to let WeTransfer provide a download link (instead of sending a mail) and send this link to me in a personal forum message (PM).

15 hours ago, Griga said:

You can upload the recording to WeTransfer. Use the menu button with three dots (...) to let WeTransfer provide a download link (instead of sending a mail) and send this link to me in a personal forum message (PM).

Done.

(I hope 🙂)

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Griga:

Does the recording play well in DVBViewer / in other applications like VLC or do you encounter the same problem?

Please answer my question!

Here DVBViewer plays your file without problems. Obviously the reception is ok. It seems to be a playback problem, maybe related to your graphics card. Unfortunately it is not specified in your SystemInfo.txt. Is it Intel HD Graphics? If yes, it is possibly a known problem.

Hi Griga

Please answer my question!

Sorry.  The answer is yes.

Is it Intel HD Graphics?

Yes it is.  Intel HD Graphics 630, integrated in CPU.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb neophyte:

The answer is yes.

To what? To the first or second part of "Does the recording play well in DVBViewer / in other applications like VLC or do you encounter the same problem?" Sometimes solving the technical problem is far easier than getting the required information from the user ;)

Anyway, lately there were posts in the German section of the forum, reporting "Suddenly only HD channels are working, SD channels don't". Most HD channels in Germany are 720p, the SD channels are 576i. Finally it turned out that all these users had Intel HD Graphics and that a driver update (performed by Windows) killed the playback of interlaced channels. The solution was to return to an old Intel driver from 2016, that is available here

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel Corporation - Display - 20.19.15.4531

or to use a system restore point (to a point of time before the driver installation) or to let the device manager return to the previous driver version, if possible. Good luck :)

2 hours ago, Griga said:

To what? To the first or second part

I took the '/' as meaning "or", not "and", so my reply related to the first (of what I took to be two) alternatives namely DVBViewer.

Moving on, I found I had only one restore point - a very recent one - but I tried using it anyway.  It made no difference.  In HD Graphics 630 - Properties - Driver tab, "Roll back driver" is greyed-out.  That leaves me with as only option installing the older driver, which I've downloaded.

However it's a .cab file and I have no clue as to how to use it.  I'd be grateful for any guidance.

However it's a .cab file and I have no clue as to how to use it.

OK - I figured it out.

But unfortunately installing the older driver hasn't solved the problem.  So I'm stuck.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb neophyte:

I took the '/' as meaning "or", not "and", so my reply related to the first (of what I took to be two) alternatives namely DVBViewer.

I still don't understand what you mean. Please answer in a clear and unambiguous way like "Playing the recording in DVBViewer causes the same issue as live TV" or "In the VLC media player I don't get the issue" or something similar.

I was quite sure that the known Intel HD Graphics issue also applies to your case, because the symptoms are very similar. However, if returning to an old driver doesn't fix it, it seems to be something else.

I would play a bit with the video playback componets (see Options -> Playback Components and check if changing the H.264 video decoder or the Video Renderer does something... if not, I would check if switching hardware acceleration (DXVA) off on the LAV Video Decoder property page (see Settings -> Filters menu) does something, or maybe replacing hardware by software deinterlacing. Please note that, after having finished with OK, you may need to perform Playback -> Rebuild Playback in DVBViewer for letting a change take effect.

That's the only thing you can do now: Get experimental, try this and that for finding out what has influence on the issue.

However it's a .cab file and I have no clue as to how to use it.

OK - I figured it out.

What I did was to open the .cab file, locate file 'ki123487.inf', right-click on that and from the drop-down menu select 'Instal' - which generated the message "The operation completed successfully".

However, now when I check 'HD Graphics 630 Properties -> Driver tab -> Driver Details' the driver version shown is still the latest driver, dated 18/03/2022, not ver. 20.19.15.4531 dated 09/29/2016.  So evidently I was wrong in believing that I had successfully reverted to the older driver as you advised.

I'm not familiar enough with how these things work to know what I did wrong, or failed to do that I should have done.  But meantime I can't make progress in following your advice and so am unable to report whether it works for me or not.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, Griga said:

That's the only thing you can do now: Get experimental, try this and that for finding out what has influence on the issue.

I have just now once more gone through your list of experiments I should try (and any few others I could think of), just to make doubly sure that none had been missed.  Although I'm confident that I didn't neglect to do so the first time, I took extra care to be sure not to omit to rebuild playback after each change.

The best way I can summarise the results is that the only one of all the changes I made from what I began-with (namely:-  hardware acceleration (decoder DXVA2 (copy-back));  no software deinterlacing;  H264 decoder - LAV Video Decoder;  Video Renderer - EVR) was when I selected MadVR as video renderer instead, both when all of the others remained unchanged and when any or all of them were changed.  Doing that results in a series of still frames appearing on my screen with intervals between them varying from a second or so to several seconds.  'DVD Source Properties' showed no change with reference to any of the affected (ie 1080i) TV channels,  continuing always to report "Graph too late".

So, no useful progress.

But I repeat that I have been unable so far to discover whether the recommended solution of reverting to the 2016 Intel HD Graphics driver can make a difference because I lack knowledge of how to install it.  My attempt at doing that myself having failed, I'm in need of help from somebody who knows how if I'm ever to find out.

The .cab file is a kind of .zip archive. If Windows won't handle it, you can unpack the content with an unpacker like 7-Zip to a (preferably new and empty) directory of your choice. On installation it will be necessary to direct Windows to it. More about it here -> Install drivers using Device Manager.

For completeness' sake I'm reporting that my fresh attempt to install the older Intel driver came to nothing.  All that resulted was that I no longer had any display driver at all - ie a blank screen.  All attempts at repair (using Win 10 installation disc options) were fruitless. so I was forced to resort to 'System Restore' which of course took me back to square one (the latest driver and no video on the 1080i broadcast TV channels).

So I'm giving up.  I've sent for a vanilla graphics card (Asus GeForce GT 1030) which I expect to be more than adequate for my modest needs and will - I trust - completely free me from the Intel integrated GPU and Microsoft's sabotage of it.

I remain completely baffled by M$'s anti-social behaviour.  I thought that 1080i was part of the EBU standard for HD:  how can M$ just drive a coach-and-horses through it?  Why are users compelled to jump through hoops to work-around M$'s goof-ups?

(Just ranting.  Sorry)