Feature request: Disable tuner after x consecutive unsuccessful restarts

jirim100

From time to time, some tuners stop working. In this case DMS restart recording after 1 minute (if is enabled option "Restart recording if no data for 60 seconds"). But that's not enough - DMS still tries to work with the same tuner, but without success (this way I haven't recorded many shows during years). Therefore, I suggest adding new option "Disable tuner after x consecutive unsuccessful restarts" to the settings. I currently use 13 tuners, and if one stops working, it will be replaced by another tuner in the list of tuners and when I return to the PC I don't lost any recording and only manually disconnect damaged tuner and connect new tuner.

Here is an auxiliary timing diagram (for better understand):

image.thumb.png.539ae49de8a38610f79e326e0906f7a0.png

A here new settings:

image.png.08f13147cbba28cd79ddd1c886ac27f0.png

I'd recommend to move unreliable tuners to the end of the device list (Options -> Hardware -> Use drag & drop), so that they are allocated last.

But there are NOT unreliable tuners. All can break down. Trust me. I am recording about 10 years and used many tuners.

Strictly speaking, functionality "Restart recording if no data for 60 secondsis not too usable in these cases.

Edited by jirim100
vor 2 Stunden schrieb jirim100:

But there are NOT unreliable tuners. All can break down.

What is the reason for it? Does the "Reset DVB device before recording" tweak help? Launch DMSTweaker.bat, find the option,  right-click it and read the description. Please note that the DMS Options must be launched with admin rights for activating the underlying "Reset after sleep/hibernate" setting. Reset means disabling the device (= removing it from the system configuration) and re-enabling it, as it can also be done in the Windows Device Manager.

It would be better to eliminate the reason instead of implementing a work-around for the symptoms in the DMS. Basically the same as here applies. There are always users that want an additional option for an individual problem or preference. They post when they need it, but they never post when they don't need it anymore, so the options pile up in DMS/DVBViewer, making the applications more and more unmaintainable and unusable ... no chance to get rid of the options again, except by disabling them and waiting if someone complains about it. ;)

P.S You can also trigger a reset of all devices for which "Reset after sleep/hibernate" is enabled by using the DMS API:

http://127.0.0.1:8089/api/devicereset.html

38 minutes ago, Griga said:

What is the reason for it? Does the "Reset DVB device before recording" tweak help? Launch DMSTweaker.bat, find the option,  right-click it and read the description. Please note that the DMS Options must be launched with admin rights for activating the underlying "Reset after sleep/hibernate" setting. Reset means disabling the device (= removing it from the system configuration) and re-enabling it, as it can also be done in the Windows Device Manager.

Sorry, but it don't help. I already tried it - many times during 10 years. Simply it is not enought. Devices occassionally stop working during recording.

38 minutes ago, Griga said:

There are always users that want an additional option for an individual problem or preference.

With these options is DMS more robust.

You know that I use DMS for recording a lot of - perhaps most of all 🙄 - currently 31000 recordings in the database. So why not take into account my years of experience? Of course, I can't force you to do that - think about it.

Programmers don't like it when someone else assigns them tasks. They just like to do what they want to do.

Edited by jirim100