Best settings for old laptop...

Dr. Roberto VALENTE

Good morning,

I have been using DVBViewer Pro for many years and just love the product! Now, with the full switch to DVB-T2, my old laptop, Acer Aspire 5630, "stutters" and pixelates every once in a while, while watching HD Channels.

Everything is still fine with SD channels, as it has always been...

Is there a way to "downgrade" the signal before displaying it, to eliminate the "stuttering"? If not, could you suggest optimal video settings for such an outdated machine?

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide! R

Hello,

I am afraid that the graphics performance is too weak for DVB-T2 HD (HEVC, H.265).

I myself use an old Samsung XP Multimedia Notebook for recording DVB-T2 HD. I disable video playback (Playback - Video playback off).

If I want to watch DVB-T2 HD recordings with this notebook, I recode them to MPEG with ffmpeg. This is the codec that is also used for SD recordings. (Ffmpeg can be downloaded for free from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html or other sources. You can find a large number on Google.

The command line is e.g. FFMPEG" -i "[source file] -map 0 -f dvd -target pal -dvd [target file.mpg] .

Many greetings

Webturtle

1 hour ago, Dr. Roberto VALENTE said:

Is there a way to "downgrade" the signal before displaying it, to eliminate the "stuttering"?

No. At least not for live TV in DVBViewer. Conversion to another format is possible with already finished recordings by using appropiate tools. However, re-encoding video usualy requires much CPU power (or a lot of time).

1 hour ago, Dr. Roberto VALENTE said:

If not, could you suggest optimal video settings for such an outdated machine?

What is the video type (format) of the new channels? See TV/Radio -> Channel Editor -> Channel data on the right side. H.264? HEVC?

Which video decoder is currently used for it? See Settings -> Filters menu.

If the type is HEVC you will need a graphics card / chip that provides hardware accelerated HEVC decoding (DXVA) plus a decoder that is able to use the hardware capabilities, or a video decoder that does it by software plus a CPU that is fast enough. Otherwise no go...