Sometimes DVBViewer Pro freezes after launching a scheduled recording

barracuz

Hello

I use two Hauppauge devices (one DVB-T and another DVB-S) with DVBViewer Pro but I have trouble only with one of them, the DVB-S device Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2. Sometimes when the PC wakes up for a scheduled recording, DVBViewer then does absolutely nothing (instead of recording) and is completely freezed/blocked. Even with the task manager, I can't terminate the DVBViewer process at that time ! I tried this morning to repeat the same issue after I have updated DVBViewer to the latest version 7.2.3.0 (before I had the 7.2.2.1) but everything went well. The Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 works with the latest driver and is connected to a USB 3 port.

Sans titre 1.jpg

support.zip

Edited by barracuz
45 minutes ago, barracuz said:

Sometimes when the PC wakes up for a scheduled recording, DVBViewer then does absolutely nothing (instead of recording) and is completely freezed/blocked. Even with the task manager, I can't terminate the DVBViewer process at that time

...due to a driver malfunction. DVBViewer calls some driver function, but the call doesn't return, because the driver freezes. Since it is impossible to terminate a driver in user mode, you can't terminate DVBViewer.

47 minutes ago, barracuz said:

The Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 works with the latest driver and is connected to a USB 3 port.

Some old DVB USB devices don't work reliably if the are connected to USB 3.0. Try a USB 2.0 port, if possible.

Hello Griga

Thanks for your reply. My two devices work with the same driver and according to the manufacturer, the WinTV Nova S2 is able to support the USB3 port. The WinTV Nova S2 looks like PCTV 461e but the first one is more recent than the PCTV. I will try to connect it to a USB2 port. Do you think Hauppauge should update the driver since there is a malfunction ?

My user experience - with USB tuners (with Media Server): When are in the system two usb tuners from the same brand (they use the same driver) then I have sometimes BSOD during waking up the PC. When then I analyze the system crash log by WinDbg, the information points to the USB tuner driver, of which I have two in the system.

All USB tuners I have connected to USB 2.0 ports. I have multiple tuners from different manufacturers permanently connected to my PC.

My story:

- Earlier I have connected two PCTV 292e tuners -> sometimes BSOD during wake up and "bad" driver was PCTV 292e. Therefore now I have connected only one PCTV 292e tuner and no more problems with it.

- Earlier I have connected two DVBSky T330 tuners -> sometimes BSOD during wake up and "bad" driver was DVBSky T330. Therefore now I have connected only one DVBSky T330 tuner and no more problems with it.

- Currently I have connected two Cynergy T2 tuners and I have sometimes BSOD during wake up and "bad" driver is Cynergy T2 (probably I will have to one of them disconnect, but I don't want, these tuners works most of time preciselly).

@Griga I don't know what kind of communication takes place between the MS and the tuner drivers when the PC goes into sleep mode, but would it be possible to do something on the MS side so that the above problem does not occur during the transition to sleep mode and subsequent awakening? For example: don't do operations with tuners served by the same driver at the same time, but sequentially (during transitioning to/from sleep mode). Maybe drivers of tuner devices don't like it. It's just my 'crazy' theory.