DVBViewer Media Server makes corrupt record files

Elnur Hajiyev

I set up a daily schedule to record a program via DVBViewer Media Server. Most of the time recordings are created successfully in a single playable video file.

But occasionally(occurs in an unpredictable manner) the server creates 100+ corrupt(seemingly) video files during a recording, each of which is 68 kB with the exception of the first one being playable for 7-8 minutes. As you can see I have not attached a dump file since I don't know when the issue will happen in advance. I am usually away from my computer to detect the bug right away, so I am worried this might happen during a critical schedule. I need to rely on the Media Server to record programs when I am away or forget to start the recording manually. How can I make sure, it will always work without a surprise?

To note, I use an external HDD as the record destination connected via a USB3.0 port and I never remove it from the PC. It always have more than enough space.

Media Server Options (SvcOptions.exe) -> Recordings -> Write log file.

Activating it lets the Media Server write a log file (*.log) for each recording. It will probably reveal what happened in case of accident. Another possibility is to check if the svcdebug.log (see DVBViewer configuration folder) contains information about such an event.

1 hour ago, Elnur Hajiyev said:

But occasionally(occurs in an unpredictable manner) the server creates 100+ corrupt(seemingly) video files during a recording, each of which is 68 kB with the exception of the first one being playable for 7-8 minutes.

A possible reason  for such a lot of files could be the "Restart recording if no data for 60 secs." option on the same page, actually meaning "if no usable video/audio data". The mechanism tries to make it work again by re-initializing everything from the scratch, including the used DVB hardware. It is also triggered if decrypting encrypted video/audio fails for some reason.

9 hours ago, Griga said:

A possible reason  for such a lot of files could be the "Restart recording if no data for 60 secs." option on the same page, actually meaning "if no usable video/audio data".

It makes sense! “Magically” it always happens to be a Premiere League Soccer match is scheduled for the recording period instead of the anticipated TV show, saving me from losing an episode. :) Obviously, the channel becomes scrambled when this happens.

I am in peace now.