Media server does not provide second channel

Bart Zorn

My setup has worked before but stopped working sometime when I was using V3.2.3.0 of the Mediaserver. Upgrading to V3.2.4.0 did not solve the problem.

I have a Digital Devices CineS2 V7 card, with both tuners selected in DVBViewer.

Both tuners are connected to a dual head LNB with two outputs and builtin two way DiSEqC switches, to receive both the Astra satellites at 19.2E and 23.5E.

I have also a DVBSky T9580 V3 card, but it is only used for DVB-T and the DVB-S tuner is not selected.

In the web interface of the Mediaserver I can see that the first DVB-S2 tuner is in use when we normally watch TV. When I try to start another channel on another Kodi, I can see that the second tuner is briefly active, but after a (long) timeout, the second Kodi reports that the channel cannot be played.

I verified that both tuners are fully functional, by deseleccting the first tuner, after which the second took over without problems.

I read somewhere that Mediaserver tries to protect ongoing recordings when another channel is requested by a ckient, but this problem occurs regardless of whether the first tuner is involved in a recording or not.

I have experimented with both the "Shared LNB" and the "Use internal Network Provider filter" settings, but they do not seem to matter.

What can cause this problem?

Please let me know if you need more info.

TIA,

Bart Zorn

support.zip

If you open the Media Server web page and move your mouse to the logo top left it turns to a version info, does it show "BASIC" after the version number? If yes then you have installed not the full paid version  but the restricted basic version, free for DVBViewer users. There are 2 separate downloads for restricted/basic and full/paid version in member area (last one only visible for users who bought it). The restricted version does not provide more than 1 stream, see here for more information.

If it's really the basic DMS and you have bought the full one it does not turn into full version by entering license data. You have to install the full version with license data (not 100% sure but I think you can simply install the full over the basic version). The version info under the web page logo then shows without "BASIC" on mouse hover.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb HaraldL:

If you open the Media Server web page and move your mouse to the logo top left it turns to a version info, does it show "BASIC" after the version number?

The Basic version would be visible in the svcdebug.log from the support.zip in the following way

10.09.23 09:29:13.615 Start App            ------------------------------------------------------------
10.09.23 09:29:13.616 DVBViewer Media Server 3.2.4.0 Basic
10.09.23 09:29:13.616 TServiceMain         Execute          Start

but it isn't. The log shows another problem, which is not related to the reported issue, however. The video database is corrupted, causing a lot of error messages like

TUPNPMediaDatabaseVideo Create svcmediaVideo.db3 ESQLiteException at 0055E354: Error executing SQL.
Error [11]: The database disk image is malformed.

It can be fixed in the following way:

• Stop the Media Server.
  • Remove the file svcmediaVideo.db3 from the Database sub-directory of the DVBViewer configuration folder (see Windows start menu -> DVBViewer).
  • Re-start the Media Server.
  • Perform "Update Video Database" on the Tasks page of the web interface. It will recreate the database file.

Additional potential problems may be caused by DVBViewer (on the server PC) not being correctly configured for sharing the DVB hardware with the Media Server. Only the Media Server should be allowed to access it directly. DVBViewer should work as a Media Server client, which means, only receive TV/Radio via virtual RTSP network devices. These are already present in the DVBViewer -> Settings -> Options -> Hardware -> Device List, but directly accessing the Digital Devices and DVBSky tuners is not disabled by unticking their "Use device" checkboxes.

Unfortunately the reported issue was not reproduced right before support.zip creation, so I can't really see what's going on. I would suggest the following proceeding:

• Stop the Media Server.
  • Launch DVBViewer in Debug Mode (see Windows start menu -> DVBViewer).
  • For testing purpose, leave the wrong direct DVBViewer hardware access as it is (just for now).
  • Switch to a satellite channel in DVBViewer and start recording.
  • Switch to another channel that should be received at the same time (but probably can't if something is wrong) and see what happens.
  • Close DVBViewer.
  • If you can reproduce the issue in this way, create and attach another support.zip. If the issue doesn't occur, just tell me...

Excluding the Media Server, Kodi, potential network issues etc. and focussing on DVBViewer only for testing purpose simplifies the whole thing considerably and makes it easier to check what is actually going on.

OK, I recreated the svcmediaVideo.db3 database.

Next I stopped Mediaserver and started DVBViewer in debug mode.

I started recording a channel and tried to play another channel. No problem!

Tried several combinations of recorded channel and playing channels, no problem.

Next I opened the Hardware section of the configuration. I deselected all direct hardware tuners, leaving only the RTSP devices.

I started the Mediaserver and DVBViewer again. Now DVBViewer complaints that there is no DVB device available.

However, in Kodi I can use two channels at the same time again.

I use DVBViewer only to configure the channel lists, so in fact my problem is solved.

Thanks!

Bart

The fun did not last long.

Although my first impression was that I could play any channel while one channel was being recorded, or play two different channels on two Kodi instances,

the problem is now back. While one channel is recording, no other channel can be played.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA,

Bart

Am 12.9.2023 um 12:06 schrieb Bart Zorn:

Anyone any ideas?

First enable direct hardware access in DVBViewer again, stop the Media Server and make sure that the following still works:

Am 10.9.2023 um 13:35 schrieb Bart Zorn:

Next I stopped Mediaserver and started DVBViewer in debug mode.

I started recording a channel and tried to play another channel. No problem!

Tried several combinations of recorded channel and playing channels, no problem.

If yes, the next step is to check whether DVBViewer as Media Server client on the same PC is able to receive two channels at the same time as expected. Disable direct hardware access in DVBViewer, so that only the RTSP network devices can be used.

Am 10.9.2023 um 13:35 schrieb Bart Zorn:

Next I opened the Hardware section of the configuration. I deselected all direct hardware tuners, leaving only the RTSP devices.

I started the Mediaserver and DVBViewer again. Now DVBViewer complaints that there is no DVB device available.

This happens because you have disabled the RTSP/Sat>IP server part in the Media Server, for whatever reason ;) Please correct this in the Media Server Options -> RTSP.

Now, after starting the Media Server, try if DVBViewer (again in debug mode) is able to receive two channels. I would use playback in the main window plus Picture-in-Picture in this case (due to your Options -> Media Server setup recordings would be delegated to the Media Server). You can select a channel for PiP by right-clicking it in the DVBViewer channel list -> Picture in Picture.

If this doesn't work, please attach another support.zip.

BTW: Which CI/CAM equipment do you use? I suppose it is needed for Astra 23,5° East, isn't it? Do you have a single CAM with a smart cards or more? Could the two-channels-issue be decryption-related? Or are unencrypted channels affected too?

Thank you for the instructions. I will report the results when I am finished.

I have the Digital Devices CI with a single CAM and smart card (from CanalDigitaal in the Netherlands). Both DVB-S2 tuners use it and in the past I had no problems when they use it simultaneously. I am not sure about unencrypted channels. I will test that too and let you know.

Bart

Yes, with direct hardware access, I can access two channels simultaneously, regardless of either of the channels is free to air or encrypted.

With direct hardware support disabled in DVBViewer, and the RTSP/SAT->IP server enabled in DMS, I can still access two channels simultaneously.

Btw, I disabled the RTSP/SAT->IP server because I thought I did not need it.

So far so good.

Problems seem to arise when I use two instances of Kodi on two separate PC's. When no channel is recording, both Kodi's can play any channel. But when a recording is active, both Kodi's can not play any channel. This is what I reported here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=374351

So it can be Kodi, the DVBViewer add-on or DMS.

Please let me know if I need to do more testing or provide more information.

Regards,

Bart

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Bart Zorn:

This is what I reported here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=374351

There I find

Zitat

However, both tuners have Shared LNB selected

This is most likely wrong and may explain the issue. "Shared LNB" must only be used if your tuners are supplied via the same antenna cable by using a two-way-splitter and you have no Unicable outdoor equipment. It implies restrictions concerning channels that can be received simultaneously. Since this setting is frequently misunderstood, it will be renamed to "Shared antenna cable" in future versions. However, I don't see "Shared LNB" being activated in your support.zip.

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Bart Zorn:

I have the Digital Devices CI with a single CAM and smart card (from CanalDigitaal in the Netherlands). Both DVB-S2 tuners use it and in the past I had no problems when they use it simultaneously

This should usually work.

With direct hardware support disabled in DVBViewer, and the RTSP/SAT->IP server enabled in DMS, I can still access two channels simultaneously.

This proves that the Media Server is generally able to deliver two channels simultaneously.

Btw, I disabled the RTSP/SAT->IP server because I thought I did not need it.

You don't need it as long as you are not using RTSP/Sat>IP clients in your home network. However, if you disable it, you should know what you are doing and remember it, so you are not taken by surprise later by something not working. I think now you know...

Problems seem to arise when I use two instances of Kodi on two separate PC's. When no channel is recording, both Kodi's can play any channel. But when a recording is active, both Kodi's can not play any channel.

I've just tried: Installed the latest Kodi version on two PCs, the Media Server running on one of them, and configured the DVBViewer PVR Add-On in both Kodi installations. Then I started a Media Server recording. No problem to receive a different channel (on a different frequency) with Kodi on one or the other PC.  However, receiving a third channel with the second Kodi installation failed, as expected.

My setup: I have two tuners (DVBSky USB and Digital Devices) connected to a dish pointing to Astra 19.2°, and the other Digital Devices tuner connected to an Astra 28,2° dish. I've performed the test above with unencrypted Astra 19.2°  channels only.

So I'd suggest to reproduce the issue, to stop the Media Server before doing something else, and then to create and attach another support.zip. Maybe the svcdebug.log reveals something...

Yes, I experimented with settings like "Shared LNB" before I used the support tool.

I have a new observation: we were watching a channel (RTL8 HD) and at a certain moment a recording timer fired and started recording RTL4 HD.

RTL8 HD continued to play uninterrupted. In the web interface of the Media Server I could see that both DVB-S2 tuners were busy. RTL4 HD and RTL8 HD use one and the same transponder: Astra 23.8, 11856 GHz, Vertical. I think it should be possible to receive both channels over one tuner simultaneously.

The opposite is not working: I stopped RTL8 HD playing and I could not start it again while the RTL4 HD recording was still ongoing.

I will follow your suggestion tomorrow, and let you know.

Thanks for your attention!

Bart

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Bart Zorn:

RTL4 HD and RTL8 HD use one and the same transponder: Astra 23.8, 11856 GHz, Vertical. I think it should be possible to receive both channels over one tuner simultaneously.

Not if they are encrypted. The Digital Devices CI doesn't support this. You always need one tuner per encrytped channel. However, the CI supports MTD (Multi Transponder Decryption). It can be used by more than one tuner simultaneously for encrypted channels on different frequencies.

1 hour ago, Griga said:

Not if they are encrypted. The Digital Devices CI doesn't support this. You always need one tuner per encrytped channel. However, the CI supports MTD (Multi Transponder Decryption). It can be used by more than one tuner simultaneously for encrypted channels on different frequencies.

Thanks, that explains it. I have to lower my expectations a little bit.

Bart

The svcdebug.log tells the following story:

• Today at 15:22:17 a live stream client switched to the German channel ZD HD on Astra 19.2, 11362 H, using Digital Devices DVB-S/S2 Tuner 2 (1).
  • At 15:56:00 a recording from 192TV on Astra 23.5°, 11739V was started with Digital Devices DVB-S/S2 Tuner 1 (2)
  • At 15:58:44 the live stream client started a lot of ZDF HD retune attempts (every 20 seconds), as if reception got broken. They lasted until 16:39:11. Then it stopped.
  • At 16:39:52 a live stream client tried to tune RTL 4 HD on Astra 23.5, 11856 V, resulting in an error message at 16:39:54: "Service ID not found in PAT". This means, the expected Service ID was not present in the broadcasted service information data. There are three possible reasons I can think of:
    • The RTL 4 HD Service ID in the DVBViewer channel list is wrong. However, my scanner says it is correct (7020).
    • The channel was temporarily inactive.
    • The Media Server received a different stream, not the expected one from Astra 23.5, 11856 V, but for example Astra 19.2° 11856 V (where no Service ID 7020 exists), because DiSEqC switching did not work.
  • At 16:41:45 the recording stopped. It looks like it has been performed successfully, though the log reports 9 discontinuities (drop outs), which is quite unusual for Digital Devices, except if there were some reception disturbances, e.g. due to bad weather conditions.

How does this story look like from your side?

The first thing is, we hardly ever watch German channels. Today certainly not, because the F1 trainings were ongoing. I have no idea what client switched to ZDF.

The recording of 192TV is correct. I programmed that.

The retune attempts to ZDF are a mystery again. I have no idea what that can cause.

The recording was stopped because I stopped Media Server.

I have verified earlier that both tuners can receive channels from both Astra's, so I do not think that there is a hardware problem.

So the ghost client that wants to watch ZDF, how could I find it? Also, I could not see the second tuner being active in the Media Server web page.

Thank you for your attention!

Bart

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Bart Zorn:

So the ghost client that wants to watch ZDF, how could I find it?

Is it possible that your Media Server is accessible from the outside (internet)? This would be the case, for example, if port forwarding is configured in the rooter, so that incoming requests are directed either to the Live Stream Server or to the (non-password-protected) Web Server part of the DMS.

"Open" Media Servers can be found easily in the internet by using special search engines. There are known cases where people from all over the world happily (ab)used a Media Server as IPTV source. In your case this would of course require an upstream data rate that is high enough for providing original HD streams (ZDF HD needs more than 10 MBit).

I certainly will not deny it, but it seems unlikely to me. I did not (intentionally), (try to) setup external access. And I assume that factory settings of my router do not allow access. (I have a TP-Link AX3000)

Just now I saw for the first time that the DMS web page shows what both tuners are doing. One is recording a channel, and the other is updating EPG. Unfortunately, when a client is watching a channel, the web page does not show it, only a percentage is shown, always around 75%.

Bart

You could check Configuration -> UPnP page in the media server web page. Here all clients are listed that have ever accessed the DMS with IP and MAC address. In this list you could disable clients that you don't want to access the DMS by UPnP.

Thanks!

Here are only clients listed with IP addresses belonging to my own local network (192.168.2.0/24).

However, at least one of them, I wonder why and how it could have attempted to connect the DMS.

I have blocked it from access.

Bart