How to setup OSD's aspect ratio?

Henry_Yuen

I'm now using DVBViewer under a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor. When full screen, the video looks normal, which is 16:9 plus vertical black bars on both left and right sides, but OSD and also subtitles will stretch from 16:9 to 21:9, any solutions? Thank you very much!

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Henry_Yuen:

I'm now using DVBViewer under a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor. When full screen, the video looks normal, which is 16:9 plus vertical black bars on both left and right sides, but OSD and also subtitles will stretch from 16:9 to 21:9, any solutions?

Settings -> Options -> OSD General -> Overscan Adjustment may help. Please enter 100 for the Left and Right value and click Apply. This will compress the OSD horizontally.

Unfortunately DVBViewer internally limits the values to a maximum of 100, even if you enter more. So if 100 does not yield a sufficient compression, it takes a little hack:

• In DVBViewer, select Help > Configuration Folder (opens an Explorer Window)
  • Close DVBViewer
  • Open the file setup.xml from this folder with a text editor (Notepad)
  • Search for OverscanLeft or OverscanRight.
  • Here you can set both entries to values greater than 100
  • Save the change, restart DVBViewer and check if the OSD is ok now.

Please let me know if your problem can be solved in this way, and if yes, with which Overscan Left/Right values. It will be considered in the next DVBViewer release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, Griga said:

Settings -> Options -> OSD General -> Overscan Adjustment may help. Please enter 100 for the Left and Right value and click Apply. This will compress the OSD horizontally.

Unfortunately DVBViewer internally limits the values to a maximum of 100, even if you enter more. So if 100 does not yield a sufficient compression, it takes a little hack:

• In DVBViewer, select Help > Configuration Folder (opens an Explorer Window)
  • Close DVBViewer
  • Open the file setup.xml from this folder with a text editor (Notepad)
  • Search for OverscanLeft or OverscanRight.
  • Here you can set both entries to values greater than 100
  • Save the change, restart DVBViewer and check if the OSD is ok now.

Please let me know if your problem can be solved in this way, and if yes, with which Overscan Left/Right values. It will be considered in the next DVBViewer release.

Hello!

Thank you very much for your help! The solution solves my issue under full screen mode(both left & right value is 160), but this will also affect the OSD under Windows mode (not full screen). It would be perfect to have settings which can separate both modes or simply add support for 21:9 monitors under full screen mode without changing overscan value.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Henry_Yuen

It just came to my mind that a similar problem arises with portrait screen orientation, because the OSD will be stretched from the bottom to the top ;) Anyway, two things are needed in the UI:

• An extended value range at least up to 200 in the Settings -> Options -> OSD General -> Overscan settings (very easy)
  • An additional checkbox "Apply to full screen only" (quite easy)

However, the difficult part is to make it work correctly with all selectable video renderers (see Options -> Playback Components). After some code adjustment it seems to work with most of them, except the EVR Custom Video Renderer, which is the DVBViewer default setting. Only some OSD pages respond to "Apply to full screen only". This still has to be solved.

When I'm through with it, I'll post here, and you can get a DVBViewer test version for trying, if you want. So please stay tuned...

Am 25.9.2023 um 18:04 schrieb Griga:

After some code adjustment it seems to work with most of them, except the EVR Custom Video Renderer, which is the DVBViewer default setting. Only some OSD pages respond to "Apply to full screen only".

Well, I was fooled by the fact that with this video renderer the background of some OSD pages is still expanded to the whole screen width. However, the text area is compressed according to the Overscan setting. So I think it is ok.

But there are other things that are not satisfying. A research revealed that the DVBViewer overscan settings were originally designed for shrinking the OSD a bit if the DVBViewer output was displayed on cathode-ray tube TV sets (see here), so that parts close to the border remained visible. I think nowadays this is not relevant anymore.

So it seems to be appropriate to re-design the functionality for ultra wide monitors and similar cases. This means at first place, that no separate left/right and top/bottom settings are needed anymore. Two values are enough: One for horizontal OSD down-scaling, that sets left and right to the same values, and accordingly one for vertical OSD down-scaling.

Another point is that the values are in pixel units. They determine how many pixels the original OSD size is scaled down. OSD skins have a different original size, as you can see on the Settings -> Options -> OSD Skin page. E.g. "OldDefault" is an SD 720x576 skin, "Default" an HD 1280x720 skin. Finally both are scaled to the screen size, of course.

Unfortunately a reduction of 160 pixels at the left and right has a different effect on different skin sizes. It affects a small OSD skin much more than a large OSD skin. If you adjust the value for a certain OSD skin, so that it matches your ultra wide monitor, and then switch to a skin with a different original size, it won't match anymore, and you will have to adjust the value again. That's not good ;)

I think it should rather be a percent value that indicates the compression relative to the original size. For the 1280x720 Default skin 2 x 160 pixel yield an overall horizontal shrinking of 320 / 1280 = 25%, or with other words, down-scaling to 75% of the original size. For the 720x576 OldDefault skin 25% are only 720 x 0.25 = 180 pixels, which means, a reduction of 90 pixels at each side.

Applying these changes is a bit more work now and will take more time. So you have to wait a bit longer for a test version... I hope you don't mind.

No problem, thank you very much! One more thing I want to mention is my monitor's resolotion is 5120x2160, I don't know if there is any differents with monitors running under 3440x1440.

Am 28.9.2023 um 13:00 schrieb Henry_Yuen:

I want to mention is my monitor's resolotion is 5120x2160

That means, a 16:9 full screen OSD should have a width of 2160 x 16 / 9 = 3840 pixels That are 75% of the total monitor width. So the new settings in the OSD General options should look like this

Zwischenablage01.png

A test version is now available. Please check your personal forum messages. Note that there may be (new) OSD-related issues, because it was quite difficult to apply the changes in code that does not originate from me. There were some things I had to guess or to find out by trial and error. Though my latest tests were successful, additional checks and feedback from another person are now of much value.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:30 PM, Griga said:

That means, a 16:9 full screen OSD should have a width of 2160 x 16 / 9 = 3840 pixels That are 75% of the total monitor width. So the new settings in the OSD General options should look like this

Zwischenablage01.png

A test version is now available. Please check your personal forum messages. Note that there may be (new) OSD-related issues, because it was quite difficult to apply the changes in code that does not originate from me. There were some things I had to guess or to find out by trial and error. Though my latest tests were successful, additional checks and feedback from another person are now of much value.

7 hours ago, Griga said:

@Henry_Yuen: You did not read my PM up to now and did not download the test version. In case you don't how to access personal messages in this forum: Please click the envelope icon at the top right.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for my late reply.

This version works for me and 75% width works perfectly.

Thank you very much again!

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Henry_Yuen:

This version works for me and 75% width works perfectly.

Fine :) thanks for feedback.

However, there is something that came to my mind yesterday: What if you add another display to your setup, let's say a 16:9 monitor side-by-side with your 21:9 monitor? Then the issue will be back, because 75% will not match the second monitor.

In the end there seems to be no other choice but to let DVBViewer keep a certain (user-selectable) OSD aspect ratio, wherever the OSD gets displayed. I think this was your original idea...

4 hours ago, Griga said:

However, there is something that came to my mind yesterday: What if you add another display to your setup, let's say a 16:9 monitor side-by-side with your 21:9 monitor? Then the issue will be back, because 75% will not match the second monitor.

In the end there seems to be no other choice but to let DVBViewer keep a certain (user-selectable) OSD aspect ratio, wherever the OSD gets displayed. I think this was your original idea...

That's what I was going to say.

Also, if there is no certain aspect ratio, the OSD will still stretch when using Windows mode(non full screen) if DVBViewer's window is not 16:9, and also, a certain aspect ratio is much easier for users to select. I think the most common aspect ratios are 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10, 21:9, 32:9, you can also leave a box for user to set customize ratio.

Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, Griga said:

Hello!

Just wondering will you include this change in the next update😆