Scheduled recordings while computer is sleeping and/or DVBViewer is running in the background

ehker

Hello, I bought and installed my copy of DVBViewer on Sunday and I have no experience using it. I possibly want to move over to DVBViewer after using WinTV 10 for over a year. Now I'm tired of using because it just can't do the stuff correctly as advertised. Anyways, the most important feature to me from WinTV 10 was that it could wake my computer from sleep to record and then put the computer back to sleep and record while the software was in tray/running in the background. WinTV failed to do the important and advertised feature, so now I'm asking if DVBViewer can do those features that I mentioned: wake computer from sleep to record and put computer back to sleep after recording and record while running in background. Can DVBViewer do those features better than WinTV and how do I configure it to do the features? I read about the Recording Service in the Wiki that seems to be outdated in those parts and couldn't find a download for it. Where will I find it or is it included with the DVBViewer so that I don't have to install it separately? I really don't know anything and I have zero experience using DVBViewer but so far it seems a nice software, but would be better if I get to know how do I get it to do the stuff and features I explained. Thanks for the help in advance.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb ehker:

now I'm asking if DVBViewer can do those features that I mentioned: wake computer from sleep to record and put computer back to sleep after recording and record while running in background.

Of course. Have a look at Settings -> Options -> Recordings -> Use Microsoft Task Scheduler.The Task Scheduler will wake your PC up and launch DVBViewer automatically, if a recording is due to start. Please note:  If DVBViewer is supposed to run in a password-protected user account, you have to click the Scheduler Settings button and to enter the password.

For putting the PC to sleep after a recording, use Settings -> Options -> Recording Timers -> Final Action for configuring the default action. This final action can be changed on TV/Radio -> Timer Recordings for each scheduled recording individually.

However, this proceeding doesn't let DVBViewer run in the background. It will appear on your desktop or at least in the task bar - there are ways to let it start in a minimized state. I will provide more information about it on demand.

If you want the recordings really to run in the background, you need the DVBViewer Media Server. It is the successor of the Recording Service. As a Windows service, it will not appear in a user account, and is even able to record if no user is logged on. It can put yor PC to sleep and wake it up as well. Its user interface is displayed as web interface in your browser. There are two Media Server versions: The restricted Media Server Basic is free for DVBViewer purchasers and sufficient for executing background recordings tasks on the same PC where DVBViewer is running. The full version can be used to  distribute more than one video/audio stream at a time to clients in your home network (e.g. players running on mobile devices or other PCs) and to control DVBViewer and recordings with these devices.

Please ask if there are additional questions.