streaming over tcp/ip?

zazzel

Hello Christian,

maybe this is a little too much work for you, but maybe you can think of it someday:

Imagine I could use the PC (+B2C2-Card) as a server for my home: the DVBViewer would merely take the mpeg stream from the SS2-card and allow other PCs to stream it (and NOT decode it).

You could think of an environment with a single DVBViewer client acting as a "remote" to the server program (channel switching). Or you could think of an environment where the server offers the same stream to multiple clients (via broadcasts?).

Why? Because then I could take my notebook pc to bed and still watch digital TV .-)

As far as I know, a typical DVB stream requires about 450kb/sec of bandwidth. So even on a WLAN streaming should be possible without any interruptions.

I know the vlc program from www.videolan.org aims at providing a free streaming solution for home use. Maybe they have done enough preliminary work to keep the additional effort small.

greetings,

Zazzel

Guest DAvenger

This has been discussed some time ago .... once we, RadLight people are free from a few projects we are working on right now we plan to code multicast streaming filters (either using RLSF or Icecast). These filters will be included in DVBViewer :rolleyes:

What will Christian do with it (remote viewing aka DVBViewer-2-DVBViewer, or simple broadcast DVBViewer-2-RadLight) is up to him. We provide the technology, he gives it a sense ;)

That would be great. I also have a WirelessLAN Card. But I think the Stream takes more than 450kb/sec.

It's 2-8Mbit/s, in my experience 802.11b would most likely choke at providing a sustained feed at these levels, anything above >1.5Mbps doesn't seem to be sustained unless you're sitting next to the access point.

However, 802.11g (54Mbps) kit has just come out and it's pretty reasonable.