Which remote control (system) to use?

daffy

First of all: A remote control is successfully set up to work via WinLIRC with my DVBViewer 3.0 installation.

But: That remote control doesn't work terribly well.

Currently I am using the (yucky) IMEX IM-1010 remote control that the online shop which sold me the infrared <-> serial converter. WinLIRC polls the COM port and, obviously, pushes all that over to DVBViewer.

Often this sort of works. I press a button on the remote, something happens. Sometimes, though, it does not work and I have to press the button again (and again and ...). When something happens, I feel I have to press the remote's button longer than I would like to - i.e. something like "press and hold" instead of "press once". The infrared receiver is at about four metres of distance; even under optimal conditions (clear line of sight between remote and receiver; room completely dark) I get this kind of effect. Now, there is this A/V receiver with its own infrared receiver about 30 centimetres above the computer's infrared receiver. And the remote for *that* works just as I expect (i.e. press button, feedback, every single time).

Quite understandably, I hope, this somewhat ticks me off (oh and throw in "I am tired of tuning WinLIRC"), so I am looking for a solution.

What I expect is

- remote control works from up to six metres distance

- remote control works *always*, *reliably*, *conviently*

- painless configuration to get signal understood by computer

Do I need to get a new/better remote control? Suggestions? A programmable one? (FYI, I only have two devices that are controlled by an infrared remote: the Pioneer A/V receiver and the computer)

Do I need to get a different infrared remote control solution for the computer? (Currently it is the "standard" Igor design connected to COM1)

Any positive experience with remote controls and computers?

To be honest, I am seriously considering abusing my mobile phone as a remote control via Bluetooth, using Puppetmaster (http://www.lim.com.au/PuppetMaster/). Problem? There is no direct support from DVBViewer for such a setup.