Media Server 3.2.5.0 unresponsive

oajungen

I am having unresponsive issues with Media Server 3.2.5.0, while 3.2.4.0 is working perfectly. Webpages aren't working and Kodi can't connect to the server.

Have done several install attempts and even reinstalled license. The issue is still present unfortunately. Not sure why.

Can you please help? I have enclosed requested support file.

support.zip

Your svcdebug.log shows that Kodi (the DVBViewer Add-On) connects successfuly, but afterwards the DMS obviously crashed on three occasions, because it was not stopped in a regular way. Now the question is: Why did this happen?

Does the DMS (the Web Interface) stay responsive as long as it doesn't access your HDHomeRun tuners? Or with other words, as long as you don't tune a DVB-C frequency somehow? Please note that this also happens on background EPG updates, so it may be better to switch them off for tests (see Web Interface -> Configuration Page -> EPG Update Settings).

Thank you for the prompt reply!

It is happening without using Kodi or the tuners for watching or epg update also. Right after a reboot of the concerning PC the web interface becomes unresponsive. The web portal comes up after waiting for a long time, but isn't clickable at that moment.

At this moment we are using 3.2.4.0 again because we are watching / recording TV at this moment. Will doe some testing with tuners disabled soon.

Is is usefull to upload a support file while using 3.2.4.0 also? 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb oajungen:

Is is usefull to upload a support file while using 3.2.4.0 also? 

Maybe yes. At the moment I have no idea which change could cause this issue. Since other users don't have this problem, it is most likely something system or configuration specific.

Enclosed you can find the support file while using 3.2.4.0.

This version works without any issues.

I hope you can find a cause, but I know how difficult this is. Working in ICT also.

If you want me to do any testing, please let me know. Thank you for your prompt support!

support.zip

Am 18.2.2024 um 19:26 schrieb oajungen:

It is happening without using Kodi or the tuners for watching or epg update also.

Does it also happen without any Kodi client being active (= all switched off) in your network?

In your first svcdebug.log DMS 3.2.5 seems to crash sometimes (not always) after the Kodi DVBViewer Add-On has queried the server for its status:

18.02.24 09:01:16.093 TBaseProcess         API_HandleStatus 
18.02.24 09:03:31.167 TBaseProcess         API_HandleStatus //-> gone, no regular stop
18.02.24 09:06:04.619 Start App            ------------------------------------------------------------

DMS 3.2.4 gets over it without problems. However, there have been no code changes in this part ;)

I will test this tomorrow. Haven't had time today sorry.

For your information, I am using Kodi on OSMC platform most of the time with client add-on version 20.4.0

Edited by oajungen

Hi,

I have done some testing and you are on the right track.

Without Kodi connecting the service keeps on working including webportal, but as soon as I start a Kodi client it crashes / gets unresponsive.

Included two support files one with and one without Kodi client connecting.

I have tried this with Kodi (20.4) on Windows and Kodi (20.3) on OSCM. Issues is the same.

I have also included the addon settings.xml I am using on one of the clients. I have masked the password for connecting to the server of course,.

I really hope you can find the cause of this. Kind regards!

support (with Kodi connecting).zip support (without Kodi connecting).zip

settings.xml

Edited by oajungen
Including of settings file
vor 40 Minuten schrieb oajungen:

I have tried this with Kodi (20.4) on Windows

I've just tried it with the same version (previously I had 20.2) via localhost (127.0.0.1) and a DMS web server password. I noticed that the Media Server web interface got sluggish while the Kodi PVR Manager was starting (always several seconds delay), but became swift after the starting process was finished in Kodi. Except that, I can't reproduce the issue. So what is the difference? I'll have another look at it later.

vor einer Stunde schrieb oajungen:

Included two support files one with and one without Kodi client connecting.

The only difference that I can see is the API_HandleStatus call due to a Kodi DVBViewer Add-On request. However, I wonder which client still queries the DMS RTSP server for the description.xml in your "Without Kodi" log. This only happens here if Kodi is running.

What about the 172.16.16.2 address? It sometimes appears in your logs, sometimes it doesn't. Looks like there is a second network adapter temporarily available in the server PC. I know that some applications may become almost unusable while they are waiting for an unreachable network resource to respond.

I have a printer that is connected to another PC. I'm using it via my home network. However, the host PC is mostly offline/switched off. If I make this printer the standard printer in Windows, LibreOffice Writer and even WordPad become very unresponsive, because they want to check the printer status and capabilities on several occasions, but get no response, thus becoming victims of the long Windows network timeout. The solution was to make the local Microsoft Printer to PDF (which is always present) the standard printer and only select the network printer in the LibreOffice/WordPad printer dialogue when it is online.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Griga:

I noticed that the Media Server web interface got sluggish while the Kodi PVR Manager was starting (always several seconds delay), but became swift after the starting process was finished in Kodi.

Hmm, I couldn't reproduce it with DMS 3.2.4 up to now. Maybe this is the key, but it takes further researches...

Thank you for the prompt replies and support! I do understand it is a situational issue, but hopefully we can find the cause and solution together 🙂

I have no idea about the  172.16.16.2 IP address. Will check and get back to this. The Server on which DMS is running do have a second LAN port, but this one isn't connected.

I can think of two causes of the IP address.

On the server I have a VPN (Hide my ass) applications running once in a while, but this is deactivated at this moment while testing.

I am also using a IPTV streaming solution with DMS. Meaby the IP address is for this purpose? 

Edited by oajungen
vor 4 Stunden schrieb Griga:

I noticed that the Media Server web interface got sluggish while the Kodi PVR Manager was starting (always several seconds delay), but became swift after the starting process was finished in Kodi.

I've found the change that causes this issue under debugger control:

Am 9.1.2024 um 19:37 schrieb Griga:
  • Fix: Channel Logos: Before using a cached channel → channel logo assignment from the file ChannelLogos2.ini, the Media Server now checks if the image file exists. If not, the Media Server automatically deletes the assignment and tries to find another matching logo for the channel. This avoids missing logos in the UI due to removed or renamed logo image files. Previously the user had to reset all cached logo assignments in the Channel Logo Options or to delete the file ChannelLogos2.ini for getting it fixed.

Do you have a huge channel list?

Kodi queries the DMS for its current channel list, including the logo for each channel. The additional check seems to take some time because it requires disk access. Too much overall time for huge channel lists, so that the DMS remains unresponsive while compiling the channel list information. As a result, the Kodi DVBViewer Add-On seems to run into a timeout, regards getting the channel list as failed and tries it again and again... ;)

Great you have found the issue!

I have a lot of channels from the IPTV provider. Most of them I am not using, only a smart portion of them are marked as favourite.

I have 50 favourite channels which I am using. All of them have working channel logo's assigned.

I assume you are only checking favourite channels not all possible channels, which are indeed a lot.

Edited by oajungen
vor 10 Stunden schrieb oajungen:

I assume you are only checking favourite channels not all possible channels, which are indeed a lot.

Unfortunately the check gets performed for all channels, even for those that have already been classified as "no logo assignable" with a hyphen (-) in ChannelLogos2.ini. In all these cases the DMS queries Windows if a logo file with a hyphen as filename exists. That's why it takes so long.

Though it doesn't do anything harmful except delaying channel logo information delivery, it must be clearly called a bug. ;) I will upload a Media Server 3.2.5.1 beta version soon where this is fixed.

I have checked my ChannelLogos2.ini file

It has 22514 lines 🙂

Most of them has a "-" as you mentioned, but also channels which I am not using (as a favourite) do have a logo enabled.

Can I clean this file from channels I am not using or will this give other issues?

vor 40 Minuten schrieb oajungen:

Can I clean this file from channels I am not using

Yes. You can simply delete it while the Media Server is stopped :) However, it won't help.

The file is supposed to cache channel ID -> logo file name assignments and to serve as a kind of lookup table, so the assignments don't have to be calculated by an expensive channel name / file name similarity algorithm (Ratcliff) each time a logo is requested or shall be displayed. So if you reset or delete this file, the DMS will recalculate the assignments, cache them again and  recreate  ChannelLogos2.ini automatically on next stop

Since Kodi requests the whole channel list with logo URLs for all channels, all assignments are recalculated, and you end up where you have started. If I delete ChannelLogos2.ini, the DMS web interface gets unresponsive for some seconds in case Kodi is running, even with the faulty "file exists" query fixed. However, it only happens once temporarily while the lookup table is recreated, not again.

Additionally ChannelLogos2.ini serves as memory for manual (user defined) channel -> logo assignments, that the similarity algorithm didn't detect automatically - see Media Server options (SvcOptions.exe) -> Channel Logos -> right-click a channel...

What would help in your case is to clean your channel list from all channels that you are not using. Or to remove all logo image files.

With a fixed DMS version, the interesting part will be to check if the fix is sufficient for your 22514 channels (I have about 5000), or if it will still take too long.

I will wait for you release to check. I have rebuild the ChannelLogos2.ini file. It now has 14250 entries. I have switched from IPTV provider and old entries are now removed. So hopefully you fix will work. Otherwise I will clean channels/logo files.