DVBViewer is not able to show TV image after installing on a new computer - using config from old computer

Alan_SP

What I did:

I have copied configuration from the old computer, where it worked (and I have there older version 7.0.1.0/3.0.1.0).

On a new computer I have installed latest version (7.2.5.0/3.2.5.0) after I have copied old configuration to save myself from searching for channels and doing other configuration things.

From my initial testing, Media server is able to save programs, but when I try to run Viewer, there's error (as on image). Not sure what it means, and how to solve this issue. I tried reinstalling Viewer, and it still doesn't work.

0.png

Edited by Alan_SP

I have found out, I didn't have HEVC codecs installed, as it's a new computer, so I have installed LAV codecs: https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

This now works, but I have another strange issue:

Now, when I open DVBViewer for the first time, I get message that "Channel is not available from server", and there's no picture. But, when go to channel list, and choose any channel, including the one "that's not available from server", it starts to play.

Really confusing. It works, but not from the start. Configuration worked on old computer (but on older DVBViewer/Media server version).

vor einer Stunde schrieb Alan_SP:

I have copied configuration from the old computer, where it worked

If you do that, you have to make sure that everything is configured in the same way as on the old PC, all directories/paths/files the configuration refers to exist, all playback components that you have on your old PCs are installed, etc.

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Alan_SP:

Now, when I open DVBViewer for the first time, I get message that "Channel is not available from server"

Probably related to the DVBViewer Media Server or some other Sat>IP server. If you can't find the cause yourself, please attach a support.zip.

Hi, here's support.zip

Also, I had very serious issue with Media Server just now when I went to reproduce error and make support.zip file. It seems that Media Server crashed silently in background over night. :(

Icon was still blue, like it's running, but I couldn't connect to it with browser, and of course, when I started DVBViewer, nothing happened in sense, it didn't even light LED on my tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD). When I stopped server, I couldn't turn it on. I had to restart computer, and after that I got it working again. Computer was running over night, not sure why Media server crashed.

It seems I have some other serious issues.

Please check file, and advise how to produce clean setup and settings that will work on a new computer. And hopefully, Media Server will run reliably on new computer, it worked fine on old.

support.zip

@Griga What would be the best procedure to create settings from scratch, so all hardware and environment differences are solved?

I have issues with Media Server too, and I'm not sure where they come from, so I think it's best to start from scratch.

Do I need to remove installations, and settings folder? Or just delete settings folder?

This is the reply to your previous post. I started writing it yesterday, but had no time to finish it.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Alan_SP:

Computer was running over night

You didn't sleep much either, did you? :) Besides a successful recording the svcdebug.log shows several Media Server starts/stops and connections to an RTSP client since 02:42:30.

The real trouble starts at 14:58:44, after a series of media data base updates performed every 30 minutes, when the DMS tried to use one of your Hauppauge tuners for unknown reasons. Strangely, there are no preceding entries that usually show the reason for tuner access. Opening the device failed with an error

29.02.24 14:58:44.726 TBDAEMPIA            OpenDevice       Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVBT Tuner 2 (2) did not start: bvEMPIA

and after that the DMS obviously was stoppd forcefully. The log shows no regular stop.

The DMS was restarted 7 minutes later at 15:05:40. On the server side, everything seems to be ok again on first sight, except one error message

29.02.24 15:05:40.490 SendMulticastUpdate  Network is unreachable (#10051 in TryToSend failed)

that could be explained by a network adapter not being ready at an early stage after reboot. It's not a critical thing. However, things don't look so good on the client side in the DVBViewer-log. There are entries like

29.02.24 14:55:41.374 TRTSPNetworkStream   OPTIONS          10060
29.02.24 14:55:41.374 TRTSPNetworkStream   OpenDevice       Server not found: rtsp://127.0.0.1:554/

10060 is a Windows error code (WSAETIMEDOUT, see here). The server didn't respond in time. Maybe because it already was more or less dead at that time.  After a DVBViewer restart 15:08:42 something similar happened:

29.02.24 15:08:43.672 TfrmMain             AllocateHardware DVB-T2 RTSP Network Device 3
29.02.24 15:08:43.672 TfrmMain             SetTuner         Found usable hardware
29.02.24 15:08:43.672 TRTSPNetworkStream   SetTuner         TType: 2, Freq: 506000, Symrate: 0, LOF: 0, Tone: 0, Pol: 2, DiseqC: 0, FEC: 0, APID: 1022, VPID: 1021, PMT: 1020, SID: 1002, TID: 10, NID: 8383, SatMod: 0, DiseqCVal: 0, Flags: 56, Group: 0
29.02.24 15:08:58.672 TRTSPNetworkStream   SETUP            10060
29.02.24 15:08:58.672 TfrmMain             SetTuner failed  3

This means, the initial OPTIONS request succeeded, but DVBViewer got no timely response to the subsequent SETUP request, that is supposed to transfer the tuning parameters to the server. However, the DMS has received the request, as the svcdebug.log shows, and replied with 200 OK

29.02.24 15:08:43.671 TRTSPWebserver       ClientConnect    026E6B80
//...
29.02.24 15:08:54.921 TBDAEMPIA            SetTuner         TType: 2, Freq: 506000, Symrate: 0, LOF: 0, Tone: 0, Pol: 2, DiseqC: 0, FEC: 0, APID: 1022, VPID: 1021, PMT: 1020, SID: 1002, TID: 10, NID: 8383, SatMod: 0, DiseqCVal: 0, Flags: 56, Group: 0
29.02.24 15:08:59.136 TRTSPUDPClient       SetTuner         Tuner set
29.02.24 15:08:59.136 SETUP                200

but the whole process took far too long (more than 15 seconds) and caused the timeout in DVBViewer. A closer look at the svcdebug.log reveals that this lagging between ClientConnect and a SETUP 200 reply started at 03:57:37. Previous tune requests (e.g. at 03:54:33) were handled by the server within a millisecond!

It seems something unhealthy has happened between 03:54:33 and 03:57:37. Unfortunately the svcdebug.log doesn't reveal what it was :iiam:The server was stopped and re-started during this time, but this looks quite normal. Did you change something at this time?

Your setup looks ok, as far as I can see. At least I can't discover serious setup faults. So my first guess is that your Hauppauge devices or their driver ceased working normally, because the lagging always happens when the DMS calls BDA driver functions (device initialisation or tuning). So before reinstalling DVBViewer and DMS from the scratch, I would rather try to uninstall the Hauppauge driver in the device manager (including deletion), restart the PC and re-install the driver. After that, you may have to repeat device detection in the DMS options (SvcOptions.exe) -> Hardware.

BTW:  Did you install the Hauppauge WinTV app? If yes, it's better to uninstall it before you continue. It may interfere with DVBViewer and DMS due to a background process that accesses the tuners, even if you don't see it running.

Posted (edited)

This is what I did, I downloaded and used HCW Clear app, which I download from here: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_utils.html

It should clear all Hauppauge drivers, etc.

After that I have rebooted PC, and I have first started driver installation, and after that inserted tuner in USB port. It might be better to try with first inserting USB and then starting installation of drivers?

Anyway, same thing happens, and support.zip is attached.

Also, now that you have mentioned slow response in communication with server, I do notice that when I manually start close recording from web interface it freezes web page for some, subjectively very long time, and only after that recording starts. So, this slow response seems to be main symptoms of the issue.

Is there something else I can try?

support.zip

Edited by Alan_SP

As I can't edit, to add what else I have tried.

I have also removed all hardware devices, and let Media server detect them, and I have also tried with installing different driver: wintv-solo_dual_quadhd_5_2020_0406_38125 which I downloaded from here: https://www.hauppauge.de/site/support/index.html#windows10 I also tried installation with putting tuner first in USB port, and then starting driver installation.

Still the same thing happens.

I think that only thing now is that I try to remove DVBViewer and server, plus settings. What should be best practice, how to execute it?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Alan_SP:

Also, now that you have mentioned slow response in communication with server, I do notice that when I manually start close recording from web interface it freezes web page for some, subjectively very long time, and only after that recording starts.

So the lagging only happens while the server is using a tuner, right?

Anyway, same thing happens, and support.zip is attached.

The new svcdebug.log includes some more recordings. It shows the known behaviour in this case. Particularly tuner initialisation takes much too long, more than 10 seconds. However, recordings seems to be successful, which means, the tuners work as they should. The recorder is more patient when waiting for data, because no network timeout is involved.

Is there something else I can try?

You have TransEdit installed. Try the following:

• Launch TransEdit and select a suitable (DVB-T/T2) transponder list on the left side of the main window.
  • Select a suitable frequency on the right side (e.g. 506 MHz).
  • Click Analyze.

How many seconds does it take until the Analyzer Window receives (and shows) data?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Griga said:

How many seconds does it take until the Analyzer Window receives (and shows) data?

You're right, I used method of counting 21, 22, ... so it's not exact, but I would say about 10 seconds, as I got to 30, and TransEdit window got "not responding" message in it's window. After it did respond, I got list of TV stations in my country (didn't used much TransEdit before).

EDIT: I did some more tests with using Analyze option, it seems that first was fastest. Subsequent tests went to 15, even 17 seconds.

So, yes, response from tuner is slow, at least initial response. After that, there's no slowness, everything works fine, from what I can tell. It goes both for Viewer (as I mentioned, only when I turn it on, it fails to show channel, subsequent changes work), and for Media Server, as timers do record, and recordings are fine when I watch them later.

What should I do? What's going on?

Edited by Alan_SP
Am 2.3.2024 um 18:21 schrieb Alan_SP:

What should I do? What's going on?

I don't know. Obviously the device initialisation process takes too long, but subsequent tuning works as it should. The TransEdit experiment shows that the issue is not caused by the DVBViewer or DMS configuration. It is rather a problem of the Hauppauge device or its driver in combination with your new PC and/or maybe the Windows BDA sub-system.

I had a similar problem several years ago with an Hauppauge Nova S2 PCI card. The issue appeared after installing it in another PC with Windows 7 (previously Windows XP). I couldn't find a lasting solution for it. Sometimes the delay seemed to have disappeared, e.g. after installing an older driver or changing driver settings in the registry, but than it reappeared for unknown reasons. However, the delay did not happen in another Windows 7 PC, in which the old card is still working...

Sometimes ends just don't meet. Of course there are things you can try, e.g. connecting the DualHD to a different USB slot, installing a different driver version etc., but without knowing the exact reason you are searching in the dark. You will need some luck for finding something that really helps, and probably spend a lot of time uselessly with it.

Sorry, no better news from my side...

I started to suspect it might be hardware issue. I again had Media Server crash (and I attach support zip after the event).

It might be that tuner is starting to fail in sense of hardware failure, it's about 6 years old. It can be the cause of those issues. Please, can you check support.zip file, and see what log says about this crash.

Also, I have one question, if I want to save channels information, I only need to save channels.dat file? No other file is needed?

support.zip

I had even worse issues, I couldn't even reboot PC until I removed tuner from that USB port (it was USB2 port), for some reason it was blocking it. And not even Media Server could start recording, even after I tried rebooting PC. Then I have changed USB port to USB3 port, and everything started working as it should.

If I start DVBViewer, it starts showing TV program. Then I tested with TransEdit, I get response repeatedly after 4 seconds (method is still counting 21, 22...).

It does seem, at least at the moment, that the issue was something with that USB2 port. I will test it further and report. It's a bit strange that something stops working with one USB port, and works with the other. And, I decided to put it in USB2 port as the tuner doesn't need USB3 port for speed.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Alan_SP:

if I want to save channels information, I only need to save channels.dat file?

• channels.dat
  • favourites.xml (if present, your favourites)
  • ChannelsURL.ini (if present, required for channel list entries with a file path or URL, Internet TV/Radio, streams etc)
  • DiSEqC.xml (if present, may be required for satellite channels in certain cases)
vor 6 Stunden schrieb Alan_SP:

It does seem, at least at the moment, that the issue was something with that USB2 port.

You may want to check your chipset / USB drivers in the device manager. Are legacy Microsoft drivers installed, or drivers from the manufacturer? Does it provide updates?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for info about saving channels information.

About chipset and USB drivers, I have installed what I was offered from support page for my motherboard and looking at USB in device manager, everything seems okay, from what I can tell.

USB controllers.png

Only device that has issue is WD disk, which works properly, and I did tried to update driver for it, but there were no results for it.

Edited by Alan_SP