Platform Independent Network TV system

LaKing

HI,...

Many people use several Plattforms and Architectures, but they are on the same Network. With a little work it should be possible to make the different Network streams compatible.

In my case:

Server: PC, Fedora Core 3 (Linux)

Mac with Fedora Core 4 and MacOsX dualboot,

few PCs with Fedora Core 3 and WinXP dualboot

Notebook with Win2000

Soon there will be a macMini and 2 other PC based workstations as well ....

I use now the Skystar2 in one of the PCs and can wacth TV on XP or Fedora.

I started to build the Network TV system, but i dont think that DVBViewer can read the stream of MythTV. (i didnt tryed yet, but when i read the help of DVBViewer ... )

I would like to put all Video capture cards to the server, and run the server as TV and file server. (with 1TB capacity) MythTV looks good, ... support for 4 DVB capture cards, network streaming, and frontends for MacOsX and Linux. Installation is not easy, but once installed, has many features. But no frontend for Win32.

However, im sure im not gonna install windows to the server, ...

So at this point i dont see the solution yet, but i tend to Linux and MythTv ...

MythTV is open Source, so it should be possible to look at the source code and the dokumentation, and make the Network Client part of DVBViewer compatible with the MythTV backend. Im sure Isaac Richards would help on that. http://www.mythtv.org

So let me know if i can help on that .... ty ty ty

Guest Lars_MQ

Well that's real easy.

MythTV has only to implement the channel-handling and the protocol for changing channels etc and send TS streams with the needed PIDs via TCPIP to the DVBViewer. :sadwalk:

Or you have to rewrite the client-part of the DVBViewer, which most likely will not happen. :bounce:

Maybe you're better off with VDR, there are clients and compatible Programms with the streamdev-plugin and you could use mplayer on windows and xineplayer on linux (and I think even MAC). I think there was someone who managed to send the aboved mentioned stuff to the DVBViewer and he worked as a client... I'll never tried it. I use the vdr server in the livingroom (with 2 FF-DVBCards). And the skystar is lokated in my development computer in my "playroom" :D

But VDR also is a PIA to set up. Once running it works like a charm.

lars

Well that's real easy.

good :bounce:

is there any dokument about the DVBViewer network specifications?

I will contact Isaac Richards when im sure all specifications are accessible.

I would write some code myself it is that easy.

I could record everything to the Server HDDs and i can play it back, thats sure possible.

But real time TV is required by the family :sadwalk:

... ty ty ty

Edited by LaKing
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lars_MQ

Well

Microsoft .NET Framework on your windows machine

You mean 15 MB of trash ahead ;)

It looks interesting. But like always MythTV is 5 steps back behind vdr ;)Link :)

No offense, of course each program has it's qualities and purpose.

I have written a server for Linux which streams DVB data to DVBViewer. The tool is using the /dev/dvb interface; I planned to write a "converter" to work with vdr.

The linux-dvbserver worked great with 3.01 Beta or something; with 3.1 however, the stream hangs most of the time after two or three channel switchings. Seems like Linux is switching channels too fast and DVBViewer gets data too early ;-)

Edited by nicolas
Guest Lars_MQ

If you use the vdr streamdev server you get the ts stream (even of the recordings :) ) directly from it. I've looked into it should be quite easy to build a input module for the DVBViewer...

But first I have to figure out why streamdev won't compile after a complete rebuild of the vdr (and linux) ;)