frame loss

duckyy

hello,

i bought the airstar pci card. it works fine but when i record, i usually loose frames while it remains flawless when i just watch. does the problem come from the software? i read a little here and saw that the videorecorder plugin now doesn't use the directshow interface. should i upgrade to the payware version to get decent results?

thanks in adv.

btw, config is XP SP1

P4 3.06Ghz, 1024RAM ASUS P4C80 Deluxe

old video card: nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 with AGP8X

directx 9.0b, installed latest Power DVD as suggested here and there, removed ac3 filter which was ---------------ing up broadcasting and created an extra partition for capture.

etienne

Edited by duckyy

Hi, I'm not sure but to me it seems more like a HW problem: when watching is ok and dropped frames occur in recorded programs only... Since you say you have created an extra partition, does it mean you only have one HDD for both system and data? If so, I would guess the HDD just does not manage. I had similar problems with a very old WXP installation even I was recording to a "data" HDD, after reinstalling the system there is nearly no dropout whatsoever.

What might help you out is:

1. TuneUp Utilities 2004, namely 1-Click Maintenance will scan and clean the comp (if in any of the runs you get more than 30 errors found, run it repeatedly since it shows 0)

2. O&O Defrag - much more proper (and faster too) than the standard Windows Defragmenter.

Or a brand new WXP installation... :blink:

Edited by TNT
Guest Oliver

I second TNT' statement.

i read a little here and saw that the videorecorder plugin now doesn't use the directshow interface. should i upgrade to the payware version to get decent results?

The DVBViewer TE doesn't feature a recording plugin, only the Pro version does. Furthermore it's not at all correct to say it doesn't use Directshow. The VRP just doesn't need dumper filters or decoders, so these filter cannot influence the recording process.

Here is a comparison of the DVBViewer versions:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/oliver/Einfuehrun...ml#einfuehrung2

Bye

Well, I know, that's why I was asking if I should get the Pro version. Anyway, it seems to be fine when I close applications like bittorrent. I recorded yesterday 3h without one lost frame.

Guest Guest

hello,

i had to reinstall my system because i ran into serious problems this last week-end. now that i reinstalled DVBViewer, it looks like it's not displayed very well, like there s a problem with the MPEG-2 codecs, what should I install to be sure to have a proper and fluid display?

i don't know how to explain, actually the video is like jerky, but it's not a frame loss problem...