DVBViewer 3.1 startup problem?!

TobsTec

Hi there!

I've a weired problem after upgradeing to DVBViewer 3.1 :

The thing does not seem to startup correctly. All i get is a minimized window in the topleft corner. When i try to maximise it, i can't see any program icons and also it looks like only a rudimentary skeleton of the program is running and waiting for something to happen. Yes i know dodgy description. I attach two images, which illustrate the problem.

(I of course tried the Search function in the forum and couldn't get any useful information about this issue.)

DVBViewer 3.0 works fine, as well as DVBViewer GE 1.3. So i really don't see an obvious reason, why DVBViewer 3.1 should not work as well.

System is an Athlon 64 3200+ / K8V-Deluxe MB with an SkyStar2 card. Driver for the card is 4.3.0. Graphiccard is an ATI Radeon 9600XT.

I tried both:

Installing DVBViewer 3.1 over DVBViewer 3.0 and also installing it into from scratch in a new directory. Same problem in both cases. The setup.xml file is of course the default setup.xml from the installation package, when i install from scratch.

So i guess i need to do some registry fiddling to get this working. The filter drivers seem to be ok, or DVBViewer 3.0 and DVBViewer GE 1.3 would not work as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tobias

post-4670-1116108518.gif

post-4670-1116108535_thumb.png

please give us needed informations. look at the top of bug reports.

Here's the DVBViewer.log with a nice pair of EAccessViolation and the default Setup.xml file.

I tried to start DVBViewer 3.1 three times in a row and get the same adresses every time, so at least it's reproduceable. OS is Windows XP SP2

Anything else required?

Tobias

Setup.xml

DVBViewer.log

• 3 weeks later...

The setup.xml that you've attached contains a DVBViewer 3.0 version info, not 3.1. Probably mixed up 3.0/3.1 files?

Did you already try to launch DVBViewer 3.1 without setup.xml? It will create a new file with the default settings.

Hi Griga!

The setup.xml is from a clean install in a new directory....

I deleted it and tried to start the program.

A new setup.xml file was not written, looks like the application is crashing even before it can create a new setup file...

Logfile is attached. The first access violation is the one from the startup, where the application is sort of stuck in the initialisation process.

The second one happens, when i press the X button, so i guess you can forget that one.

DVBViewer.log

Tobias

If you have nothing changed in your setup you have to set the decoder under directX

And please post the XML from DVBViewer 3.1 !!!

And please post the XML from DVBViewer 3.1 !!!

Obviously he can't, since DVBViewer 3.1 crashes before writing it.

Do you have FFDShow MPEG4 decoder & raw video filter installed? If yes, disable raw video in the FFDShow setup.

Hi Griga...

Nope, i don't have FFDShow installed afaik.

Here's the output of LogMPEGDecoder:

MPEGDecoder.txt

As i said: DVBViewer 3.0 and DVBViewer GE 1.3 work fine, so if it is a decoder problem, it's a really strange one.

@Klausing: I cannot setup anything, because the half-started up & hung DVBViewer 3.1 app. has a options menu like that:

post-4670-1118517543_thumb.png

Cheers,

Tobias

Seems to be a difficult thing. Unfortunately I don't know enough about DVBViewer Pro to pinpoint the problem. May be Lars comes along and tells you more...

Guest Lars_MQ

Hmm a fresh install you say?

please try one thing: rename the folder visplugin in the DVBViewer folder and be sure to make the test with an user with admin rights.

@Lars_MQ:

I tried with VisPlugins renamed and Admin rights. Same result. I always get this:

11.06.2005 22:27:45 EAccessViolation raised by instance frmOptions of class TfrmOptions at 0012FD27:Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 0012FD27. Schreiben von Adresse 0012FD27

Guess i'd need a VisualStudio installation now :D

Tobias

Guest Lars_MQ
Guess i'd need a VisualStudio installation now 

I have no idea why you need this.

But this is quite strange. I'm working on a (well used) XP sp2 system and took a installation of the DVBViewer 3.1 (the official) and deleted nearly everything (the sql*.dll, the languagefiles, the database dir, visplugin, even osdskin folder and all xmls) and even then it did start.

I know this doesn't help you, but my point is, even in a crippled installation there should be no or only (really) minor problems.

This is really strange, there seems to be a combination or better interaction in your system, which is quite hard to find :D

Well afaik knew my XP Pro SP2 installation is perfectly sane and up-to-date with all patches. No dodgy broken installations lurking or something. So i'd rather avoid a complete reinstall just because DVBViewer throws an exception.

So i guess i can forget DVBViewer 3.1 for the time being, unless Mr.Hackbart himself jumps onto the problem and adds some debug code in the "frmOptions" class to locate the problem. :D

Anybody knows, when V3.2 comes out? :-)

Bests,

Tobias

• 1 month later...

Just FYI - Same problem still exists with V3.1.2

The symptoms are a bit different:

DVBViewer starts up and stop at "Load persistent EPG data" plus shows an "Enter username and passwort" dialog... OK and CANCEL button have no effect.

Well.. In the DVBViewer.log it's still the very same exception as in V3.1.

DVBViewer.log

*sigh*

TobsTec

shows an "Enter username and passwort" dialog

so maybe there is a user level and/or file permission problem...

Have you installed DVBViewer as Administrator with full user right and is it and his files accessible for all users????

• 4 weeks later...

Problem solved!

DVBViewer.exe does not like the data execution prevention feature, which is being enabled by Window XP SP2 automatically depending on the processor.

Just add DVBViewer.exe to the exception list hidden in the System Properties, Performance Settings and it works like a charm.

See also here: http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...opic=8588&st=60

Cheers,

TobsTec