DVB subtitles

TeroHeinonen

Hi DVBViewer folks,

First of all, thank you for the clearly best software in the category so far.

Features: excellent. User interface: very good. Maturity: small things need to fixed.

I bought a couple of days ago TechniSat AirStar 2, and purchased DVB software. Everything works for me quite perfectly except small but important things:

1) subtitle playback for DBV subtitles does not work

------------------------------------------------------------

When watching TV directly, DVB subtitles work fine.

When recording from YLE (national TV broadcaster in Finland supporting DVB subtitles) four files are created e.g.

07-24_20-20-11_YLE TV1_Varjossa auringon alla .txt

07-24_20-20-11_YLE TV1_Varjossa auringon alla .dts

07-24_20-20-11_YLE TV1_Varjossa auringon alla .mpg

07-24_20-20-11_YLE TV1_Varjossa auringon alla .srt

When playing back, subtitles are not displayed. I don't know if I should do something to enable the subtitles for playback? From Options->EPG/Teletext>Subtitles, "Enable if available" is checked. However in the Language menus, there is nothing to select.

2) software freezes randomly

----------------------------------

Software freezes randomly (for no obvious reason), at least when:

- left alone running and displaying a TV channel

- when swithcing channels

Killing the process and restarting DBV Viewer helps.

This is a major pain as it renders the scheduled recording practically useless, as the software cannot be left alone without supervision.

It would be great if there would be some debugging log or something, that would help to identify the problem, as this seems impossible to reproduce intentionally.

Environment: Windows XP Home (English, all updates), AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 512M, nVIDIA nForce 2.

WISH LIST:

As of the wish list, support for multiple decoder cards would be excellent, as that would allow (in principle...) simultaneous recording from multiple MUXs.

Also the possibility to adjust vertical positioning of DBV subtitles would be useful.

SUMMARY:

Once more, DVBViewer is the first product (tried them all...) that ACTUALLY has the potential for use as the home entertainment center. Keep up the excellent work!

I'm willing to help out to test the new releases to fix the above problems. If you want to communicate directly: tero.heinonen [at] cortexventures.com

Hi, concerning the first problem. All you need is to select the enable subtitle in the options. I plan to wrap the data also into the recorded file, but till now there are a few other things with higher priority.

Software freezes can be caused by several facts. Either the driver, but since you probably use an official one it should not be the reason. Another big problem is the mpeg decoder. I personally have had the best results with the Sonic decoder.

If you take a look into dvbsource filter statistics (view->Filters) you receive a very detailed information about the incoming data. If there are errors shown, i would try to make sure that the signal quality can get improoved by adjusting the antenna.

Multiple Decoder Cards are still in the work. Right now the problem is to deal with different card tuner types (atsc, cable, terrestrial, satellite) in the same time.

Christian

Hi, thanks for the reply. However, I still cannot get subtitles visible when playing back. Only place in options where I found anything related to this is "Options->EPG/Teletext->Subtitles", and the "Enable if Available" is checked on. I'm obviously missing something here. Please advice. Note: the language selection dropdown menus are empty in the same dialog.

Hi, concerning the first problem. All you need is to select the enable subtitle in the options. I plan to wrap the data also into the recorded file, but till now there are a few other things with higher priority.

Software freezes can be caused by several facts. Either the driver, but since you probably use an official one it should not be the reason. Another big problem is the mpeg decoder. I personally have had the best results with the Sonic decoder.

If you take a look into dvbsource filter statistics (view->Filters) you receive a very detailed information about the incoming data. If there are errors shown, i would try to make sure that the signal quality can get improoved by adjusting the antenna.

Multiple Decoder Cards are still in the work. Right now the problem is to deal with different card tuner types (atsc, cable, terrestrial, satellite)  in the same time.

Christian

Hi,

well i just tested it and everything seems to be fine. I'm not quite sure, but the playback with enabled dvbsource filter as source causes some smaller problems. Anyhow using ordinary dshow runs fine - like the screenshot explains :)

post-3405-1122322799_thumb.jpg