network broadcasting

zeflash

Hey guys, wanted to know if I was missing something on the network options.

Let me describe what I was expecting in the first place.

I would like to watch a program remotely on another PC that doesn't have the sat card. so far, so good. So I set up the network option in DVBViewer, installed DVBViewer on the other PC, and ... I've been able to watch only the channel that was set on the "server" PC.

I expected the server DVBViewer to either switch channel when I request a channel change on the client, or maybe say something like "remotely controlled" and not show anything. But, it didn't worked - only the current channel gets to be sent over the net.

So, I tried the dvbserver app. And it worked great - trouble is, I can't have the server app running along with the viewer app, cause of course they conflict with each other to get access to the sat card.

So, I tried to have the DVBViewer on the server set up as a multicast client, hoping I could just keep the server up & running, and use the viewer as a network viewer on both the server & the remote computer. Then again, it's not a valid solution because 1) using dvbserver + DVBViewer takes up like 150% more CPU resources than just using DVBViewer and 2) because if I have 2 different DVBViewer clients asking the server for a channel it seems that it's always the first launched that gets the privilege to be able to switch channel - the second one only receives the currently broadcasted channel.

So, am I missing something here? Right now the only thing I can do is:

1) if I want to watch TV on the server PC, I use DVBViewer using the sat card directly, dvbserver not running / off.

2) if I want to watch TV remotely, I have to stop DVBViewer and run dvbserver.

I can see a lot of solutions to that problem:

- have the DVBViewer behave exactly like the server (handling remote channel switching, having an option to turn off the video / audio output if getting remote controlled)

- have both DVBViewer & dvbserver communicate so that upon launch, each app checks if the sat card resource is currently in use, and takes it over, "pausing" the other app. Release of the resource would lead to "unpausing" the other app.

Now tell me I overlooked something and there is a perfectly useable solution to my problem :wacko:

in your case i would set up both DVBViewer-apps (server+client) as unicast client and run the dvbserver on the server (more than 1 client has to be allowed).

give it a try :wacko:

Not working, same problem than what I stated previously: the combination of dvbserver + dvbclient even locally takes twice as much CPU as just DVBViewer.

What I really don't understand is the purpose of the network server inside DVBViewer - what's the point of broadcasting the current channel without being able to remotely change it? I'm puzzled. That would be ideal.

Not working, same problem than what I stated previously: the combination of dvbserver + dvbclient even locally takes twice as much CPU as just DVBViewer.

What I really don't understand is the purpose of the network server inside DVBViewer - what's the point of broadcasting the current channel without being able to remotely change it? I'm puzzled. That would be ideal.

zeflash.. take a look at my postings lowerdown regarding Multicasting... the DVB server is explained a little more in that..

Leadbelly :wacko:

But then again I'm not so much interested in using the dvbserver because in that case I can't use DVBViewer locally.

Instead what I think would be best would be to simply remote control the channel DVBViewer is showing when accessed remotely. It's already broadcasting the current channel (which by the way I have to find on the remote DVBViewer) so it's just a matter of making things work the same way the dvbserver works.

This way I can still have a working DVBViewer on my hometheater, and I can also remote access any channel I want.

And if my wife was watching something else, well, too bad for me! :)