Direct 2 DVD Plugin

The One

First of all great player guys!!

Would it not be good to have a direct 2 dvd feature. Which burns while you record and will be in dvd format so you can put it in any DVD player after finished recording. I know nero has this feature. Can this be coded? What do you think? Is it already in the works?

Edited by The One

Hi,

it has been discussed in the forum some time ago, I think in german.

The main problem basically is the error handling. It can not be guaranteed, that the received MPEG2 stream is free of any errors. Imagine a bird crossing your LNC while recording, some rain and many things like this. The normal way with demuxing and cutting, then remuxing and burning guarantees, that if there are errors, they do not concern the rest of the recording.

It might be imaginable that you will get an asynchron data stream, so your video goes out of sync.

This can not be handeled while directly recording...

The commercial DVD recorders do not deal with this problem really, they convert to an analog signal, or, better, the take an analog signal and convert this in realtime to mpeg2. Like you can do it with your normal analog WinTV since years.

There you do not get these errors :)

Another thing, these funny things like cutting etc. of course only work offline. Admi-Ral has written a skript, so cutting inside the DVBViewer becomes possible...

So the necessaty for online recording becomes smaler and smaler.

What you can do, you can use some directCD tools like nero is offering, so you can use your DVD burner as normal drive, and record directly to it. Then you have a normal MPEG2 stream on a dvd pc-formatted, and some dvd players are also able to play this. Although it is no official standard!

Hi,

it has been discussed in the forum some time ago, I think in german.

The main problem basically is the error handling. It can not be guaranteed, that the received MPEG2 stream is free of any errors. Imagine a bird crossing your LNC while recording, some rain and many things like this. The normal way with demuxing and cutting, then remuxing and burning guarantees, that if there are errors, they do not concern the rest of the recording.

It might be imaginable that you will get an asynchron data stream, so your video goes out of sync.

This can not be handeled while directly recording...

The commercial DVD recorders do not deal with this problem really, they convert to an analog signal, or, better, the take an analog signal and convert this in realtime to mpeg2. Like you can do it with your normal analog WinTV since years.

There you do not get these errors :)

Another thing, these funny things like cutting etc. of course only work offline. Admi-Ral has written a skript, so cutting inside the DVBViewer becomes possible...

So the necessaty for online recording becomes smaler and smaler.

What you can do, you can use some directCD tools like nero is offering, so you can use your DVD burner as normal drive, and record directly to it. Then you have a normal MPEG2 stream on a dvd pc-formatted, and some dvd players are also able to play this. Although it is no official standard!

thanks for your reply yaRincewind. Will try that solution and see how it goes.

Hi all, I have bought DVD-RAM drive for my new PC and I thought I will be able to use it as PVR then. Suddenly I have find out, that there is no support for direct to DVD-RAM recording in DVBViever (similar like in Intervideo's HomeTheater for example), while I do not see a reason why it should be so difficult to implement. The possible errors in the MPEG stream should not be worth any concern, any DVD capable player should be able to recover from errnously readed DVD content, so I believe it should handle the corrupted DVB stream similarily (the application can just fill the missing data with "nulls" respectively if really necessary), but I am not sure about legal/licensing issues of DVD-RAM realtime video recording (I cannot remember the name of that standard which is used for that in desktop videorecorders), maybe this is the reason why it is not there.