Hauppage Nova-T USB2. Can only get 5 Chnl's!

tentimes

I've selected the DVB-T in the setup, it's scanning all the frequencies, but it seems it only picks up a handful of channels from the first transmitter it finds. It appears like it is tuning and does not stop. just seems like once it got a few from first tuneable bandwidth it then fails on all the others.

The hauppage.co.uk forums are tits up again, but I remember reading the other day that other people are getting exactly the same problem. I have also had this problem on other 3rd part apps.

IMORTANT: WinTV software finds them all no problem. The signal is good and I don't get much freezing on any of the channels I watch with WinTV.

I'm using the pro version of DVB and haven't tweaked with any other settings apart from the directx selection of the source (Nova-t USB 2).

I've been reading these forums all I can and just don't see anyone getting anywhere with it.

I can give any details needed (I'm even happy for people at DVB office to remote my machine and have a look themselves). I'm not quite sure what details to post though - I'm a techie, but this is my first venture into the black arts of TV/Sat receivers for your PC (and boy is it complicated!)

I would attach the hauppage DB with frequencies, but it's too big and the forum won't let me.

I'm trying to be patient but feeling a bit miffed right now having parted with the money for it, and getting nowhere :)

Edited by tentimes

please post your setup.xml, which driver, which version of DVBViewer ... informations please

please post your setup.xml, which driver, which version of DVBViewer ... informations please

I'm in the UK (DVB-T uses freq offset in UK, if that means anything?)

Software version 3.2.4 build 1006

Which driver? not sure what you mean by this - I'm selecting the card as the directx source and it matches (Hauppage Nova-T USB 2). ah... BDA what you mean? That's what I can chenge the terrestial settings with. Tried all combinations of terristrial: tuning spaces/no tuning spaces, internal/DVB-T - didn't touch mediaportal as I thought that was just another player (which, incidently, didn't work either)

Thanks for your help - anything else you need posted just let me know, but please do keep in mind that this seems to be the same with othe users of this card, the moderator of the hauppage.co.uk forums posted last week that he couldn't get it running since it changed to 3.2.4 from 3.2.3. I suspect something has been changed :radscorpion: (just trying to make your life a little easier)

Setup.xml

Edited by tentimes

Just some thinnking out loud, and please keep in mind that although I'm a weathered techie this is v new territory for me:

I'm reading the frequency tables from the hauppage access DB. The first set of channels is at 474Mhz, with 8 channels there, ther's another 10 channels at 498Mhz etc etc. I'm assuming BDA is a demuxer. The device is firing the stuff down a USB2 port, so I'm further assuming that it's just a straight mpeg2 stream, and the tuning is internal, controlled by software? So somehow DBV isn't communicating how to tune the device via BDA. Now I know BDA works as I had it as a plugin for GB-PVR and was able to get the same channels that the hauppage WinTV software can get, it's just the software itself was so dreadful I didn't like it (sorry to whoever wrote it at GB-PVR, nothing personal :rolleyes:)

DVB->BDA = the problem here?

Also, another clue I think: I was trying out orangeware USB 2.0 drivers the other day and I remember something similar happening to what is happeneing now. When I went to tune it using the hauppage software it was scanning the frequencies in about half the time it took before - and surprise surprise, it found no channels. The scanning speed looks to be the same in DVB (as in its scanning the channels far too fast). Makes me think it isn't tuning right, even though it "appears" to be tuning.

When I changed the USB drivers back to the MS usb 2.0 ones, WinTV could again tune properly, and the scanning process took about double the time.

After some more hunting, I decided to include what info I have from GBPVR, as it can tune with the BDA plugin. I noticed this in particular:

Device type, hauppage Nova-T USB2

DVB-S LNB setup: LNB LOF1=LNB Switch=LNB LOF2=11300, DiSEqC=None. GBPVR can use the BDA Plugin, seems like DVBViewer isn't setting it properly for it to be able to scan. I don;t know what the LOF etc mean, but since I read somewhere else about UK DVB-T having a special offset maybe this is something to do with it? "L" "OFfset"? This is like a detective novel now. Any chance of some feedback or help someoene? It's really doing my napper in now :radscorpion:

Edited by tentimes

Was hoping one of the devs would have a go at andwering this - especially since ther are people now paying for the product which, as far as I can see and other people have experienced, doesn't work for hauppage nova-t USB 2 cards.

Device type, hauppage Nova-T USB2

DVB-S LNB setup: LNB LOF1=LNB Switch=LNB LOF2=11300, DiSEqC=None. GBPVR can use the BDA Plugin, seems like DVBViewer isn't setting it properly for it to be able to scan. I don;t know what the LOF etc mean, but since I read somewhere else about UK DVB-T having a special offset maybe this is something to do with it? "L" "OFfset"? This is like a detective novel now. Any chance of some feedback or help someoene? It's really doing my napper in now smile.gif

These are satellite settings and don't apply to a DVB-T device. You must use the latest BDA driver, though.

Maybe this post will help you:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/forum/index.php?s...indpost&p=69086

I have been downloading various software with BDA in it over the last 4 days and I can't figure out how I get the latest version of BDA. If it's the BDA plugin for directx, I have the latest drivers from hauppage (the ones lonked in the forum) so am assuming that's it. I spent hours looking at other drivers with BDA, but they all seem to have different files - i.e. it's not like there is just one BDA file you update, and they also all seem proprietry to the hardware.

The other thread you linked to, I don't really see any solution, just other people having exactly the same problem as me and not being able to get it to work.

I don't mean to be bitching about your reply though, I would appreciate any help I can get on this, as it has me totally stumped.

Anyone else any ideas? Or maybe point me in the direction of something that explains BDA, or even how to get latest version etc?

Sorry for the delay, but i will be back on thursday (hopefully without a jet lag). Try to start the tuningspace.reg, select the tuningspace in the bda property window and restart the DVBViewer.

Christian

Um, I'm not stoopid :D That's one of the very first things I tried. I have now exhausted every combination of settings, and other users are confirming that DVB won't work with hauppage nova-t usb2.0 as it stands, even with BDA. It's tuning far too fast - seems it's not scanning right. Tunes fine with WinTV & GB-PVR, which both use BDA plugin.

Edited by tentimes
  • 3 weeks later...

I've not got so much a solution, but an identification of the problem. With BDA tuning spaces, you don't hard-code the frequencies, you specify them as "-1". The DVB software then requests a particular frequency. However, with the Nova-t USB2 it doesn't appear to be happening, almost as if the tune requests are being ignored. If you hard-code a frequency for a known mux as the CarrierFrequency, DVBViewer will then tune.

For example:

1) Download Transedit MMC Demo

2) Go to Settings -> Hardware -> Property -> Provider

3) Make a new tuning space on the Tuning Spaces tab (e.g. Nova-t USB2) and leave all default values set except for CarrierFrequency which you should set to a known mux frequency in KHz (e.g. 666000)

4) Go back a tune that frequency and it works straight away

So this points to either the Nova-t USB2 driver being the problem (although this works in every other software I've tried) or DVBViewer being the problem (although this works with every other BDA card I've tried).

Does that bring you any closer to a solution?

Edited by CX23882-19
  • 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that it's fixed and working! I have just one problem, audio is about 1 sec out of sync (late) to pictures - but I will ask on this in a seperate thread as I think it's an entorely diferent issue.