show favourite channels in recording service

buttonsNI.

No the Recording Service did not support favourites at all.

You have to sort channellist. Put the favourites at the start of the channellist.

i think this needs addressed

i think this needs addressed

+1

Without this ability, the web-based EPG is very unfriendly - one should not have to use transedit and rescan with EPG diabled, then go through all channels and re-enable EPG individually. If it could be made to present favourites only then that's one reason not to look at Windows 7 Media Centre.

• 3 weeks later...
No the Recording Service did not support favourites at all.

You have to sort channellist. Put the favourites at the start of the channellist.

Any idea why Service does not support favourites? Every other function in DVBViewer seems to support them. Please, add favourites support to next Service version, please. Some of us like to have all scanned channels in channellist and use favourites to sort the ones that are used most. This is most efficient when using a satellite dish with a motor.

Thanks in advance,

patti

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a shame but it looks like the authors aren't interested. I tried to use it but ended up sticking with a combination of digiguide, dabdig, tv genial and DVBViewer. At least the digiguide web interface is fully customisable. The only issue is that it's not possible for it to detect recording clashes.

+1 here too.

I use DVBViewer in the same way as Patti, which is logical since when you re-scan the channels you'd have to re-sort the channel list whereas Favourites remains the same except that you can add any new channels.

Sorting the channel list may get over this problem but it's a messy kludge at best. I'm sure most people have set up a Favourites list so it makes absolute sense for the Recording Service to use it.

Please Devs, it will surely be a simple matter to check for a favourites list and default back to the channel list if it doesn't exist?

when you re-scan the channels you'd have to re-sort the channel list

No, if you use only the update scan in your main root and use a different root for a completed scan move only the new channels to you like to your main root.

Or the best way use TransEdit for the channel scan. There you can select which channels you like to update or add to your channel list and you can removed channels which are not existing any more.

Ah, I haven't tried 'update scan', I usually just do a new scan to the same root.

You mentioned sorting the channel list earlier so I tried it and see that it works. 'BBC' is the first group in my list so I moved all the channels I want into that one, sorted them, and that seems to work. Is that what you're recommending? It would be nicer to be able to create a new group to put the channels in but using the first group works for the web interface. *

Also, in the status display, what does the percentage figure mean and why does the height of each channel in 'timeline' vary so much?

One more o:) How about an option to switch off the programme descriptions, leaving just its name? We can always click on the name for more details but as it is, 'timeline' with lots of channels gets a bit messy.

Thanks.

* To explain, UK DVB-T channels appear in groups separated by their broadcaster's name so I have BBC, ITV, Channel4, etc., not all in one group as Sky does it.

Edited by SimonP
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+2 for favourites for rec. service ;)

I agree that it is possible to do like Tjod says and it is also possible to scan channels with "exclude channels from EPG" option in Transedit and then enabling EPG only for those channels that you want. But all this is too much work if you have lots of channels to scan and this is also too complicated for newbies. Favourite support would work out-of-the-box and be the best solution. Please?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bumping this thread.

+1

Definitely must-have feature. This missing feature is the major weakness of Recording Service web interface. Otherwise I have only good things to say about Recording Service.

After I have mobilized the favourites in DVBViewer I have not touched to basic channel list. I just want to run new channel scan if necessary and remove old because I am used to do like this to keep it fresh without any extra manual work.

Keep on bumping this thread, please o:)

• 4 weeks later...

A clever marketing guru once told me: if you do not listen to your customers, you become deaf, and then you lose the ability to listen to your customers

• 2 months later...

I don´t know if this issue is still a problem with the latest version of "Recording Service" I have (1.8.0.1) so I ask the following:

Using favourites or any other method, there is a way of having listed just the channels I want from the hundredths I got from my initial satelite scan?

I bet the method used by DVBViewer for listing channels is very powerful, but for a beginner is a bit confused.

Specially since I am using this service in my iPad, all I wanted was to have 5 or 6 categories with a few channels each, instead of having a huge list of channels grouped in a awkward fashion during the initial scan process!

Regards,

hsmpt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's crazy that the developers just won't consider this feature. It makes it totally useless for members of the family to use so I have worked around the issue by buying a subscription to Digiguide & glueing them together with via DABDig.

Don't get me started on xbmc integration (but that's probably also for xbmc developers to tackle).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im not an expert in this, but i think that your request is not possible

Recording Service are, as the name is indicating, a service, and it is a server. In theory it can service a lot of clients, which all have there own Favourites

So how should Recording Service use Favourites, which client Favourites?

Hi,

You have only 2 users, so wouldnt it be possible to keep it simple for the first

time and maintain only two lists. One for the admin and for the guests.

Hi,

You have only 2 users, so wouldnt it be possible to keep it simple for the first

time and maintain only two lists. One for the admin and for the guests.

??

I have 6 users, and they are not guests. They want to have there very own favourites

They are daily users

The problem is that you don't understand that this is a server/client model

you cant have have a server that decide for all clieents

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

It will be very usefull.

BTW. Mayby someone found a trick to sort channels.It's really annoying, to search channel in list of hundred :(

BTW. Mayby someone found a trick to sort channels.It's really annoying, to search channel in list of hundred :(

If you use the channel editor/scanner you can create sets of channels, I don't know the limitations of this, I just have 2 sets at the mo. (new to DVBViewer), one for frequently used channels and one for those I might want sometimes, post-123885-0-16114400-1337172830_thumb.png.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I asked this question on a different thread and got this answer as a possible workaround.

It means that instead of editing a favourites list, you create a new Root folder (like the one that is automatically generated when you run a scan) and copy your favourite stations into this folder. That way, it becomes the first folder that the Recording Service web interface sees. It also means that things like the PS3 will see your "Favourites" folder in the same way that they see the "Provider" folders at the moment.

It goes as follows:

There is no favourites support in the RS and if you like the DVBViewer to use favourites everywhere you have to change approximately 16 settings.

Personally I wouldn't use the favourites at all.

In my opinion the better way is to sort the beginning of the channel list.

1. create a new Root folder: open the Channel list Editor > select a channel > change the "Root" name to "favourites" [> change the Category name as well] > klick on Apply

2. move the Root folder via drag and drop to the top of the channel list

3. move ale your favourite channels via drag and drop in the favourites folder

4. export the sorted list as a backup > select the favourites root Eingefügtes Bild save.

5. use TransEdit for updating the channel list

It is a little awkward at first, but no more awkward than sorting the favourites list in DVBViewer.