latest Beta ignores Video-Folder setting

Jackie78

Hi,

I have configure D:\Videos as the only folder to save videos in. However, DVBViewer still saves all Recordings in the WIndows-Video Folder instead of the one I have configured, and the webmenu also shows the same folder in the status-menu: C:\Users\Public\Videos\

Why?

Definitely not, I have always saved to this folder in DVBViewer before I installed recording service. The Standard-videofolder isn't configured at all anymore.

And: why is the configured folder not at least shown in the webinterface?

Support.zip added

support.zip

Edited by Jackie78

Jackie78,

if your "D:" drive is a mapped network drive you'll have to do some workarounds to make the Recording service use it.

read this

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/36706-cant-record-to-nas/

in short - the user SYSTEM that is used to run the RecService doesn't see mapped drives and even if you add the path as a UNC (//server/folder) you'll have to either make it writable for "everybody" or you can change the user that is used to run the service and only allow him to write in this network share.

Personally, I hope that the DVBViewer's developers will add some kind of way to enter username and password for accessing network resources but for the moment your only options are the ones I've pointed out above.

No, D:\ is a local partition on the same drive c:\ is located.

I have restarted over and over, searched all config files, NOWHERE is c:\users\public\videos configured, so how does the recording service even know this folder? Maybe a hardcoded default?

No matter which local folder I configure, it always uses the one above, and it always shows the wrong one on the webinterface -> "Status" page.

This is really driving me crazy, plz help.

Edit: another thing I noticed: there are two sections in the Recording service settings where I can define a folder: under "Record Settings", and under "Video" right at the bottom. I understand that under record settings, I define the folder for the recorded TV programs, but why do I need to define a folder under "Video"?

However, both folderlists only contain one single Folder: D:\Videos, and I tried changing it to a folder C:\Videos that I just created, both are totally ignored, and the webinterface always only shows the Windows default video folder, which I did never define anywhere (must be hardcoded).

I also tried to define different folders for the RS and DVBViewer, as suggested in the Wiki, but that doesn't help (and which, by the way, really is something I absolutely do not like, since I do not wnat to have different databases for timeshift recordings and instant recordings, but that's not really related to my problem, just a comment)

I searched all my logs for an errormessage, but couldn't find anything. Is there som kind of "advanced logging" which gives me at least a clue why the RS is refusing to use my configured folder?

Just to repeat myself, all my videos used to be stored in D:\Videos before, ans since I switched to the RS, the videos all go to the Windows Video Filder, messing up the database I built so far.

So please, I really need to fix this.

Thanks alot or your help!

Edited by Jackie78

Jackie78: Sounds like you are having the same problem I've experienced using latest RS. Thing is that the configuration interface saves its settings to C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name/all users"\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml while RS and the web interface reads and writes to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml. To fix simply copy the former file to the latter location (with RS not running) and overwrite the one that's there (although safest to charge its name).

This is a bit of a pain and I've dug around for the last few days to try and find how to make the config interface save to the correct folder but no luck yet.

I've also got some other issues occurring: The client PC picks up the recording as it is set i.e. C:\... which of course is not where it is on the client. I've got around this by using the network name for the recording folder e.g. \\RecPC\C Drive\..., but then RS does not use your permissions for the folder and I have not determined the correct one to set yet (just trying to find out when I read your post) so for the time being I've had to set permissions to everyone to get it to work. If anyone can tell me the permission group to use I'd be most appreciative. Ah scrub that; just read Hafan's fix and can report that it sorts out the permission problem nicely on XP too.

I've also noticed that the date set in the recording info text file uses a '.' separator rather than the '/' normally used by DVBViewer. I reported this as a bug but have been told that this is a local config issue. However, my regional option setting is set to '/' so I'm not convinced that this is correct, and I've yet to receive any more specific information. Again if anyone can throw any light on this....

Edited by steven627
Thing is that the configuration interface saves its settings to C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name/all users"\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml while RS and the web interface reads and writes to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml.
Looks like a UserMod=1/VitualStore problem.

but then RS does not use your permissions for the folder and I have not determined the correct one to set yet (just trying to find out when I read your post) so for the time being I've had to set permissions to everyone to get it to work. If anyone can tell me the permission group to use I'd be most appreciative. Ah scrub that; just read Hafan's fix and can report that it sorts out the permission problem nicely on XP too.
The Recording Service runs as service in the System account.

I reported this as a bug but have been told that this is a local config issue. However, my regional option setting is set to '/' so I'm not convinced that this is correct, and I've yet to receive any more specific information. Again if anyone can throw any light on this....
You have to set the settings for the System account not for a normal user account.

another thing I noticed: there are two sections in the Recording service settings where I can define a folder: under "Record Settings", and under "Video" right at the bottom. I understand that under record settings, I define the folder for the recorded TV programs, but why do I need to define a folder under "Video"?
Add: UPnP: The Recording Service can now stream via UPnP/DLNA AVI, MKV, WMV and ASF files too.......

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/19629-recordingservice-beta/page__view__findpost__p__306260

Just done a bit more hunting and reading and resolved the config interface issue. Usermode in Usermode.ini in the program DIR needs to be set to 0 or 2, 2 seems to be the preferable option, check meanings here Multiuser_mode. Copy all files from "username"\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\ to All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\ and restart RS then DVBViewer.

Now just got to resolve date issue. This isn't such an issue now because DVBViewer correctly interprets the data set from RS. But if the recording is stored to say a DVD for later use then either the separator has to be manually changed or the date will show as 30/12/1899.

The Recording Service runs as service in the System account.

Thanks Tjod. After I rebooted I discovered that Hafan's solution was not so smart as the service wouldn't start. Had to set it back to Local System and reboot to fix.

Then set permission for recording directory to SYSTEM from the local machine location and all works fine.

You have to set the settings for the System account not for a normal user account.

How does one do this?

Edited by steven627

Tjod: Sorry I maybe wasn't clear in my question, I was asking how I access the SYSTEM account. But its alright I found how to do it here Login to SYSTEM. I'd already tried your suggestion prior to posting and having checked the settings in the SYSTEM account I found that it was the same, i.e. '/', so the issue still remains.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jackie78: Sounds like you are having the same problem I've experienced using latest RS. Thing is that the configuration interface saves its settings to C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name/all users"\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml while RS and the web interface reads and writes to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\service.xml. To fix simply copy the former file to the latter location (with RS not running) and overwrite the one that's there (although safest to charge its name).

This is a bit of a pain and I've dug around for the last few days to try and find how to make the config interface save to the correct folder but no luck yet.

Hi,

I was on vacation for some weeks, but now I'm back on that problem again, and simply cannot find a fix. I updated to the latest beta of the Recording service, and found this problem still unfixed.

First, I checked the usermode.ini file, the usermode is already set to 2

Then I checked in c:\documents and settings, which is unaccessible in Windows 7 even for administrators, so I looked in C:\Uers\My User Name\, but there was no DVBViewer-folder at all in that folder or any of its subfolders. the only DVBViewer folder I can find is under C:\Users\All Users\CMUV\DVBViewer, but which file has to be changed there?

Edit: finally managed to get it, the folder-structure under Windows 7 64Bit ist some kind of really irritating. The config-tool seems to put the data here:

C:\Users\Jackie78\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\config

but it should finally go there:

C:\Users\All Users\CMUV\DVBViewer\config

Can you please simply fix this annoying behaviour in the Recording service?

Edited by Jackie78

Remove the CMUV folder (C:\Users\Jackie78\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\CMUV).

There should be no DVBViewer related data in the VirtualStore and the current version should not write dater there even if the user rights are set wrong.

On your System seams to be some thing wrong with the user rights of C:\ProgramData\CMUV.

Remove the CMUV folder (C:\Users\Jackie78\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\CMUV).

There should be no DVBViewer related data in the VirtualStore and the current version should not write dater there even if the user rights are set wrong.

On your System seams to be some thing wrong with the user rights of C:\ProgramData\CMUV.

It occurs to me that only the configuration tool that comes with the recording service writes to this folder. All the other executables (DVBViewer.exe and the recording service itself) seem to access the right file. This seems to be the reason why all the settings I make using that tool are constantly ignored.

C:\ProgramData\CMUV is set to full access for Administrators and SYSTEM, what else is needed?

Edited by Jackie78
It occurs to me that only the configuration tool that comes with the recording service writes to this folder.
The current version or a older version?

C:\ProgramData\CMUV is set to full access for Administrators and SYSTEM, what else is needed?
It should be set to write and read access for all user on the PC.

And here the setup sets the rights corrected.