DVBViewer 4.5 Crash while watching HD channels

yousif666

Ok, without having read everything about your problems and your setup I can say most folks on this forum having crashing issues has solved them by focusing on the Videocard driver (ATI or Nvidia). One guy had a broken CAM. Since your issues only effect HD channels I would concentrate my search to the ATI/Nvidia driver. Choose an another version.

And also if you are trying to update files in the configuration folder (channels.dat or favourites.xml) at the same time DVBViewer is running you will fail. Close the viewer and then update and restart DVBV again.

Edited by majstang

I formatted and the same problem no sound in the HD channels and alot of small squares even though i chose the windows 7 codecs. i cant watch and in the end the DVBViewer crash and also i lost my favourites and everything even though i backed up favrouites.xml and channels.dat but when i retuned them it didn't return anything and now i am trying to add new transponders to the transponders folder and its not overwriting i dont know how to deal with DVBViewer after all this. :mad:

Sorry to hear this yousif :(. When you restore favourites/channels like majstang says, you need to make sure DVBViewer is not running. Can you confirm that the codec you are using is the "Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder"- this should be listed by right clicking video, going to View>Filters? Can you confirm what ATi Catalyst software version you are running?

Edited by dvbrewer

Did you do all Windows Updates - Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update- click Check for Updates- are any optional or recommended updates listed (assuming you installed all critical updates)? I think MS updated the MS decoder since W7 was released so you need to do that to make sure you have the latest version. Also if you need to try another ATi Catalyst (10.8 seems popular) you can download here.

Ok, without having read everything about your problems and your setup I can say most folks on this forum having crashing issues has solved them by focusing on the Videocard driver (ATI or Nvidia). One guy had a broken CAM. Since your issues only effect HD channels I would concentrate my search to the ATI/Nvidia driver. Choose an another version.

And also if you are trying to update files in the configuration folder (channels.dat or favourites.xml) at the same time DVBViewer is running you will fail. Close the viewer and then update and restart DVBV again.

I did close DVBViewer and replaced the files but no luck with me,:( anyway the files are gone now with the format it doesn't matter anymore.

Sorry to hear this yousif :(. When you restore favourites/channels like majstang says, you need to make sure DVBViewer is not running. Can you confirm that the codec you are using is the "Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder"- this should be listed by right clicking video, going to View>Filters? Can you confirm what ATi Catalyst software version you are running?

Yes i can confirm you that i am using Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder i went to settings-->options-->DirectX and there i changed it to Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder for all the fields audio and video.

Did you do all Windows Updates - Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update- click Check for Updates- are any optional or recommended updates listed (assuming you installed all critical updates)? I think MS updated the MS decoder since W7 was released so you need to do that to make sure you have the latest version. Also if you need to try another ATi Catalyst (10.8 seems popular) you can download here.

Yes i have done all the updates for windows, i am using ATi Catalyst 10.9 and i will try 10.8 and see how it will work with me, if i still got issues i might shift to windows xp just to test it might work good on xp with me.

i tried 10.8 and still same issue infact i am getting crashes alot more i cant even watch an HD channels only few of them.

so how its going to be fixed ?

Hi yousif,

I´d bet you have a temperature problem somewhere in your setup and suggest you do some troubleshooting yourself. Hardware Monitor by CPUID is a good start. Prepare some measurements and find out if any component has "suspicious" temperatures.

If this seems like too much trouble, sell your PC and get a stand alone DVB Receiver.

W7, EVR Custom Renderer, PowerDVD 10 and AC3Filter. Latest ATi drivers.

The artifacts you describe in HD are typical for the MS DTV/DVD Codec and ATi.

Just a note on the side: P4 is probably not the best platform regarding power consumption and temperatures. Additionally, if you have passive components (graphic card?) then that´s looking for trouble. Ensure that you get enough fresh air in your computer case.

I would stick to W7 too, but I don´t think that´s too relevant to your case.

Some time ago I posted my irremote.ini for the Hauppauge, just in case you´re interested

Edited by blasgl

Just a note on the side: P4

I didn't notice P4 :unsure:, I think you need a 3.2GHz P4 for HD so if it less than that this may be the problem. With XP, you could try using the Shark codec pack, go into settings and set H.264 and MPG to use PDVD 10 codec, ticking the DXVA box in H.264, also obviously make sure you have 10.8 or 10.9 Catalyst installed.

I formatted and the same problem no sound in the HD channels and alot of small squares even though i chose the windows 7 codecs. i cant watch and in the end the DVBViewer crash and also i lost my favourites and everything even though i backed up favrouites.xml and channels.dat but when i retuned them it didn't return anything and now i am trying to add new transponders to the transponders folder and its not overwriting i dont know how to deal with DVBViewer after all this. :mad:

for the 'no sound' use ac3filter (is a free codec and works very good), is it a normal issue

for the 'squares' can be an overeat prob like someone already reported, or not enough power for that bandwith

i suggest to, instead to monitor the temp (some videocard goes crazy at low temp, mine eg at about 50°C had artifacts with hd), put, if you have, a big desk fan (the one used in the rooms without air conditioning in the summer, i don't know the right english name) aside the opened pc case

if it worked you know what can be..

then you can start to monitor wich component give errors (cpu sat-card or video one) with some software (unlucky my satcard has no temp sensors)

a good P3 with MMX is enough for HD, as long as the graphics cards play ball too. Most ATi 2xxx and nVidia 8xxx will. Aside from that, good signal levels, drivers and a good codec choice should do the rest. If you still have problems your hardware is broke or overheating.

a good P3 with MMX is enough for HD, as long as the graphics cards play ball too. Most ATi 2xxx and nVidia 8xxx will. Aside from that, good signal levels, drivers and a good codec choice should do the rest. If you still have problems your hardware is broke or overheating.

no, i think that is not right, with some channels worked but with some others no

with an amd 5200+ with an old ati3450/256mb i had many probs (but i doesn't tested it as well, i'm tried another card for some minutes/codec due the probs with mine main one), with a 8500gt np only a cooling issue (maybe is defective but now works with a LITTLE :P fan upgrade.. 4 wood screws in the heatsink and a 80x80mm temp sensor regulated fan, sensor in the videocard heatsink, instead the rounded 40mm original's one: less temp to the sat-card, positioned 2 slots under, and very low video card temp)

McGyver docet

edit:

i add that i haven't any problem with a 500€ lowcost recent notebook with an ati, so for sure a low level one, card

with win7 and default codecs

Edited by toblerone

Guys my CPU is 3.4 P4 and if you say its heat issue then i will test and see. i installed windows xp it worked good but still same problem so i think it might be as u said overheating.

i will try to cool the case up and see what happens even though i have open case and the A/C (Air conditioner) is working in the room.

Some time ago I posted my irremote.ini for the Hauppauge, just in case you´re interested

Yes please i need a good working one.:D

----

edit: guys can someone recommend me a good system to build and not very expensive.

Edited by yousif666

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/40480-irremoteini-und-remote-config-fur-DVBViewer/page__pid__299611#entry299611

You can build a nice HTPC around the new Intel Core iX and use the integrated graphic chip, even for HD. You´ll need a Intel H55 chipset motherboard and a minimum of 2Gb RAM. Everything else is up to what else do you want to do with the PC and your budget.

I assume you live outside Europe when you say you have the A/C working this time of the year (it´s freezing over Germany now) If your power source is not very reliable or the grounding in your building is bad or non-existing, consider investing in a "better" PSU and even and UPS to stabilize the current going into the PC and protect your components.

i managed to make it working good now i returned to windows 7 and installed hd pack and i am using now PWdvd 10 and its working good, there is one thing that is making me crazy is that when i go to edit the channels i right click and choose number favourites and then when i press on no. 1 on the remote i dont get the channel in the favourite no, i get the channel from the total TV channels why ???

i managed to make it working good now i returned to windows 7 and installed hd pack and i am using now PWdvd 10 and its working good, there is one thing that is making me crazy is that when i go to edit the channels i right click and choose number favourites and then when i press on no. 1 on the remote i dont get the channel in the favourite no, i get the channel from the total TV channels why ???

You can get to favourites by pressing OSD yellow and then back/exit on your remote or set a shortcut button in Settings>Options>Input, scroll down to OSD favourite list, select, click Learn, press the button on your remote you want to use. If you want quick access by number you need to sort your channels in the Channel list Editor, the channel at the top will be channel 0, the one below channel 1 etc :bye: .

Edited by dvbrewer

ok now when i go to favourites and scroll down with the channels is there a way or a key to press and get back to the favourites list ? because if i want to get to the favrourite list i have to go up and click on the ... so i can get back to the favourites menu.

ok now when i go to favourites and scroll down with the channels is there a way or a key to press and get back to the favourites list ? because if i want to get to the favrourite list i have to go up and click on the ... so i can get back to the favourites menu.

Use back/exit on the remote.

is there any way to make DVBViewer not to crash when the channel freeze or drops in signal ???? because its very annoying everytime i get crash i have to go and close it and open again.

When DVBViewer crash i get this error it only crash on HD channels

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: DVBViewer.exe

Application Version: 4.5.0.0

Application Timestamp: 2a425e19

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdadb

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0002fc47

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• 1 month later...

hello, I have a problem with the pip when I turn the remote control stops working, I have to press the left mouse button and begins to operate, remote control plug MC2005. The second problem is the DVB Viewier off, when leaving the pip.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I logged in to report a similar problem but then saw this similar thread.

PC: XP SP3, DVBViewer 4.6, CoreAvc 2.0

I have experienced the following in the current and previous two major versions of DVBViewer.

When switching between HD channels, DVBViewer would crash.

I observed that DVBViewer would only crash with differant resolutions.

Or so I thought.

I observed this:

1440x1088 -= changed to ==> 1440x1088 = no crash

1920x1088 -= changed to ==> 1920x1088 = no crash

1440x1088 -= changed to ==> 1920x1088 = crash

1920x1088 -= changed to ==> 1440x1088 = crash

After reading that I could disable cuda accelerator in CoreAvc 2.0 , this eliminated the problem.

But my CPU us doubled from around 10% to around 20%. This is bad.

So is this problem down to DVBViewer or CoreAvc?

Replies welcome.

• 2 months later...

I find out some new info, DVBViewer crashed( DVBViewer window freeze) with coreavc, or arcsoft

I go to haupphagge forum, and find out some similar thread, with arcsoft :

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22106

Hauppagge packed Arcsoft codecs into their WinTV app.

Leadtek also packet Arcsoft codecs into their WinfastPVR.

I have leadtek tuner and also haupphagge, both crash with their apps if i use arcsoft, same situation with DVBViewer and arcsoft.

Cyberlink do not crashes on DVBViewer

• 4 weeks later...

hauppauge release a arcsoft codec with fix, is in 2.3f pack.

but it cost money.....even if i own an 930c, i do not have original CD, so i could not install the new arcsoft.

if anyone could help me:)