Video going bright and dark in DVB Viewer Pro v4.5.0.0

antdude

Hi!

Weird. I recently uninstalled and installed my ATI Radeon 4870 video Catalyst suite driver from v9.7 to v10.12 in my old, updated 32-bit Windows XP Pro. SP3 (IE6) machine.

Everything seems to work except that DVBViewer Pro's picture/video goes darker and brighter sometimes especially during commercial breaks. It seems to happen only on one channel. I can see it during my recordings, timeshifts, and live. I think it also happens when the video is in 1080i mode (can see horizontal lines too when in fast motion scenes or changing scenes -- had this problem for several years with this program).

I use CyberLink Video/SP Decover (PDVD7). I think I stopped this problem when I unchecked "Enable dyamic contrast", but I get a lot of flickers in my Trillian Astra v4.2 b22 Free.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)

Dynamic contrast can be the reason for this problem, so indeed switch it of.

Flickering : enable de-interlacing in powerdvd. It has even a slider to adjust the de-interlace effect.

PowerDVD7 is kinda old, so yo ucould truy a resent powerDVD version, related to DVBViewer, the trial version is enough.

Any ideas?

Yes, keep away from the newer Catalyst drivers for XP. I seems AMD has some lesser sharp developers working on these cuz they suck.

Go back to the old working setup. Your OS is after all 10 years old...and will work best with the old stuff.

Edited by majstang

Dynamic contrast can be the reason for this problem, so indeed switch it of.

Flickering : enable de-interlacing in powerdvd. It has even a slider to adjust the de-interlace effect.

PowerDVD7 is kinda old, so yo ucould truy a resent powerDVD version, related to DVBViewer, the trial version is enough.

Well, v7 is full version and I kind of don't want to get a new one since and losing the full program. Are there alternate freewares?

Yes, keep away from the newer Catalyst drivers for XP. I seems AMD has some lesser sharp developers working on these cuz they suck.

Go back to the old working setup. Your OS is after all 10 years old...and will work best with the old stuff.

Heh, I used to have v9.7 but it had problems with newer games and blue screens with DVBViewer Pro as shown in http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/32151-ativvaxxdll-blue-screens-when-starting-DVBViewer-pro-v4-in-windows-x/ ... :(

Heh, I used to have v9.7 but it had problems with newer games and blue screens with DVBViewer Pro as shown in http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/32151-ativvaxxdll-blue-screens-when-starting-DVBViewer-pro-v4-in-windows-x/ ... :(

Ah, I see! Yes, the game problem with older Catalyst drivers is a downer. I have experimented a lot with XP and Catalyst cuz having a similar issue (total system freeze only fixed by a hard reboot). Found out XP was stable (with DVBViewer running) only from Catalyst 9.4 and earlier. Had to format and reinstall WinXP first cuz it was impossible to remove all traces from the later Catalyst drivers without making the system even more unstable. Turns out ATI did some changes during the summer of 2009 and there are a lot of posts about it on the ATI forum. Your BSOD:s might as well stem from that issue. Dont know if the fact you having a newer graphicscard than me makes any difference though. Could of course be so that the Catalyst driver might act different depending on Radeon HD model.

Edited by majstang

Ah, I see! Yes, the game problem with older Catalyst drivers is a downer. I have experimented a lot with XP and Catalyst cuz having a similar issue (total system freeze only fixed by a hard reboot). Found out XP was stable (with DVBViewer running) only from Catalyst 9.4 and earlier. Had to format and reinstall WinXP first cuz it was impossible to remove all traces from the later Catalyst drivers without making the system even more unstable. Turns out ATI did some changes during the summer of 2009 and there are a lot of posts about it on the ATI forum. Your BSOD:s might as well stem from that issue.

Yeah, probably and the latest v10.12 seems to have finally fixed it and I no longer have to use the workaround. Yay!