Seeking recommendations regarding USB S2 cards

amirhs

Hi All,

I'm currently using DVBViewer Pro V4.60.1 with a Skystar USB card (doesn't support S2), but now I want to purchase a new USB card which supports S2 transponders and HD channels. I have a couple of options but am not sure which one to get.

1. Skystar USB2 HD CI: this seems to be a great card. Though on the expensive side, I've heard that it's a bit old and discontinued. Is this true? I'm able to purchase it through a seller, but wanted to make sure if the higher cost justifies better performance, more powerful tuner for weaker S2 transponders, apparent discontinuation, and so forth.

2. Skystar USB HD: this seems to be the latest TechniSat's USB S2 card. Though it doesn't have a CI module -- I can live without it, I'm hearing that in terms of over-all hardware quality and tuner strength it's not on a par with its older sibling -- the one which has the CI module. Is this true?

3. DTB USB QBox II and QBox 3: I don't know much about these two other than their cheaper price and their aluminum body. Do you prefer any of these to Skystar cards? Does DVBViewer properly support both of these?

And, last but not least, if you had my choice of cards, which one would you select? I'm in a stalemate, so your help is quite appreciated. BTW, currently I have a laptop with Windows Vista, but am planning to upgrade to 7.

Cheers,

Amir

Suggestions or recommendations, anyone? Please let me know if you prefer QBOX II or QBox 3 USB to any of the Skystar USB HD cards. If not, which Technisat Skystar card (Skystar USB2 HD CI or Skystar USB HD) do you prefer or recommend?

Please help!

Well, guys, it seems that I'm just replying to myself <g>.

Seriously, I've also found TechnoTrend S2-3600 HDTV USB. Do you prefer this to the aforementioned QBox S2 and Technisat USB HD products. And is the difference between this TechnoTrend model and the 3650 CI model only CI module of the latter? I'm hearing great reviews of this, so I might end up buying TechnoTrend S2-3600 HDTV USB. Does it work well with DVBViewer and motorized dishes without any hiccups? Full DiSEqC support is very important to me.

Thanks.

Guys, is nobody really here to answer my questions or throw some advic? Simply put, please let me know which card you prefer: TechnoTrend s2 3600 (USB), or QBox 3 (USB). Personally speaking, I'm gradually gravitating towards QBOX 3 which is the 3rd generation of DTB's QBox model and newer than TechnoTrend 3600, but don't know which one works better with DVBViewer in terms of speedier channel selection and timeshifting, has a better tuner for S2 transponders (this is very important to me), supports full DiSEqC 1.X+ (TechnoTrend seems to be weaker in this regard), and provides better access to internet satellite. BTW, as I've decided not to get a card with CI module, I've decided not to get Skystar USB2 HD CI.

Please help!

DiSEqC 1.2 or raw DiSEqC commands (to drive a motor) are not supported by TT-connect S2-3650 CI.

DiSEqC 1.2 or raw DiSEqC commands (to drive a motor) are not supported by TT-connect S2-3650 CI.

Thanks for the hint. So as I'm planning to get a motor in the near future, do you suggest that I not get the TT 3600/3650 cards, so as to avoid any potential issues? If the answer is yes, what's your recommended external DVB S2 card, regardless of the absence or presence of a CI module?

The SkyStar USB HD

http://www.technisat.com/index6d98.html?nav=Sat_DVB_S_,en,1294131238891-1246563456759

is able to drive a motor, provided it doesn't require more than 450 mA. If a motor needs more, the device will switch the power supply off in order to protect itself. The power supply is the weak point of USB 2.0 devices in general. A PCI/PCIe device is more suitable for this purpose.

DiSEqC 1.2 is supposed to work with DVBViewer, but AFAIK nobody has tested/confirmed it up to now. It is only supported by the WDM (Network/NDIS) driver, not by the BDA driver, which is restricted to DiSEqC 1.0.

I'm hearing that in terms of over-all hardware quality and tuner strength it's not on a par with its older sibling

Not to my knowledge.

Hi Griga,

Do you prefer Skystar USB HD to TechnoTrend's 3600 or DTB's QBox 3 in terms of tuner power and better compatibility with DVBViewer? I live in a place where it's a bit difficult to find and purchase TechniSat's products though TechnoTrend's 3600 and DTB's QBox II S2 and QBox 3 are well advertised and almost readily available. Many people say DTB's QBOX II S2 doesn't have a good tuner especially for S2 transponders (don't know if this is also true for the latest QBox 3 model), and that, DiSEqC issues aside, TechnoTrend 3600 has a better tuner compared with TechniSat products.

Simply put, if you were in my shoes and price were not an issue, which external card would be your first and second choice?

Note to TT-connect S2-3650 CI...

If the active DVB subtitle small delays in the receipt of the signal caused by freezing DVBViewer program in Windows 7.

Change the video decoder or renderer does not help.

Note to TT-connect S2-3650 CI...

If the active DVB subtitle small delays in the receipt of the signal caused by freezing DVBViewer program in Windows 7.

Change the video decoder or renderer does not help.

Hame, it seems that you have the TT-connect S2-3650 CI. As it's very similar to TT-connect S2-3600 -- the only difference being the inclusion of the CI module in the former, do you recommend either of these for DVBViewer Pro 4.6 especially for S2 transponders? And if you have a motor of any type, does your card properly support it in DVBViewer without a hitch?

I'd also like to hear the experience of QBox 3 users in case they're reading this.

Yes, I have a USB-Box TT-connect S2-3650 CI, Superjack DG120 HH motor and DVBViewer Pro 4.6.0.1.

Motor not spinning, even just a connection to the engine causes the lockout card. This and above freezing when using DVBViewer DVB subtitles are the only objections.

The card has an excellent remote with software support "LM Remote KeyMap" programs.

Thanks, Hame, your points are very useful.

Now that I believe I know almost enough about TechnoTrend's products and their benefits/limitations, I'd very much like to know how well QBox II USB and QBox 3 USB work with DVBViewer and if they have powerful-enough tuners (compared with TechnoTrend and TechniSat products) for S2 transponders. In particular, QBox 3 seems to be quite interesting in that, if this actually means much to us, it allows the 925~2175 MHz Tuning Range -- many similar products, QBox II included, provide the 950~2150 MHz Tuning Range. Please check http://www.tbsdtv.com/english/product/qbox3.html

What do you think?

Simply put, if you were in my shoes and price were not an issue, which external card would be your first and second choice?

If I had a motor, I would use a PCI card, e.g. TechnoTrend 3200 or Hauppauge Nova S2. However, in desperate need :) of an external device, I would first try the Skystar USB HD. Here the TT 3600 is working well (connected to my second PC and a twin LNB), but it is known for its weak power supply. Particularly a high switch-on current may let it go on strike. So it's only suitable for outdoor equipment with a low power consumption.

A big advantage of the SkyStar S2 / SkyStar USB HD product line is the auto-detection of DVB-S/S2 and FEC (does not apply to SkyStar HD2 and SkyStar USB 2 HD CI, which are relabeled Twinhan/AzureWave devices). Even if a DVB-S2 channel is wrongly flagged as DVB-S in DVBViewer, the Skystar USB HD will receive it quite happily. AFAIK there is no other tuner with that ability. However, you don't get feedback about what it detected.

I have a SkyStar USB HD, but I had no time to test it up to now (my PCs are overcrowded with DVB devices). However, my SkyStar S2 PCI (same product line, see above) is working well and reliably, and I can't complain about the tuner. Particularly channel switching is pretty fast compared to the TT 3600. Nevertheless, please remember what I've written here. You will be a beta tester as far as it concerns DiSEqC 1.2.

If you want to read something about QBox and DiSEqC 1.2: Click.

Well, Griga, to say that I'm thrilled to have read your comprehensive and well-outlined reply is an understatement.

Sadly, I have to use external DVB S2 cards because there's no PC around -- only notebooks. Given the vantage points you mentioned, I'll definitely go with SkyStar USB HD, and as soon as I can get my hands on a motor, I'll happily test its DiSEqC 1.2 capabilities.

As for QBox II S2 USB, the topic you pointed me to was an eye-opener. Of course, I don't want to be the first one who apparently plays with DVBViewer and the newly-released QBox 3 S2 USB, so I don't get that one either though its enhanced tuning range (925~2175) is quite intriguing (don't know if it actually means a lot to us -- end users).

Hi Griga and all,

As I've also selected the motor I want to purchase and use along with SkyStar USB HD (it's probably the best and the most feature-rich motor in my region anyway), I'd like to know if anyone is using it. the motor is "Premium HD 3000" -- http://www.premiumlnb.com/english/products/DiSEqc-H-H-Motor/DiSEqc-H3000

My main concern is that I can't find any figure referring to this motor's power consumption. Griga, you told me -- and I'm quoting you here: "SkyStar USB HD is able to drive a motor, provided it doesn't require more than 450 mA." While many new motors apparently require 250 mA up to 350 mA, would it be safe to assume that this motor is no exception to the rule? Please help me if you have this particular motor and have used it with SkyStar USB HD. I hope I'm asking this in the right place because this topic wasn't active for some days -- I might very well create a new topic somewhere else if requested.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Confirm motor runs great: USB-Box TT-connect S2-3650 CI, 15 metre cable, Strong SG-2100 motor, LNB 0.3dB Sharp, 90cm Triax dish and DVBViewer Pro 4.9.0.

:rolleyes: