Hauppauge HVR2250 MCE Remote

Anony55

I have a Hauppauge HVR2250 ATSC card that came with a 45 button RC-6 remote control. The remote sensor connects directly to the PCIe card (not usb). Also, I have not upgraded to 4.9 yet, but I do have my new credentials and have downloaded it, but not installed it. Right now, I'm still using the newest version that the OLD credentials supported.

I have never been able to get the RC-6 remote working with the old version, even though I downloaded the various mce remote plugins. But, I was able to get the TechnoTrend remote that came with my TT3200 to work perfectly with the appropriate plugin. But now I am removing the TT3200 from the HTPC for other reasons.

So, my question is... Does 4.9 (or a plugin) support the Hauppauge RC-6 remote directly? Meaning, can I use the "Learn" function under "Input" to set it up... without having to use something like Event Ghost?

If not, is there an addon remote (usb or RS232) that will work in this manner? I'd really like to use one with 45 buttons or more. That was my only complaint about the TT remote... not enough buttons.

Even though I've been using DVBV for over 2 years, I still feel like a newbie when it comes to these remotes. Should I even call mine a MCE remote, or a Hauppauge remote?

BTW, I'm running XP-Pro 32 bit.

Cheers

Edited by Anony55

I think I'll try the 2nd option first. I printed the post from your 2nd link & will have a look tonight. It doesn't look like either option works with DVBV's built in "Learn" function. But I could be wrong. I'm looking foreward to trying this out.

Cheers

The chances are high that the remote works with a USB receiver too. Then you could use the MCE plugin which works flawless.

Edited by mague

I played around with the method in that 2nd link last night. It's definitely not my cup of tea. While I was able to get "some" of the buttons to work, it would take much more patience than I have these days to get everything working... if I ever could. I'm really looking more for a solution that allows the "Learn" process in DVBV. That's a process that I can understand.

The chances are high that the remote works with a USB receiver too. Then you could use the MCE plugin which works flawless.

So if I get one of the MCE remote control USB kits (like what they sell on Newegg), and use the MCE plugin, the "Learn" function will work in DVBV? If so, that's just too easy.

If I get one that uses the RC6 protocall, I bet my existing remote would work as well. Am I understanding this right? For no more than those costs, it would be well worth the headaches saved. :)

Cheers

OK, maybe this isn't so easy after all. My remote looks exactly like the one in this link...

http://store.hauppauge.com/accessories2.asp?product=mce_remote

... but it's just the remote without the usb receiver & blaster.

I'm beginning to get concerned about finding a USB MCE remote kit that will work under XP-Pro 32 bit (wheaher it uses my existing remote or not).

So, here's my newest question... Does anyone know of a MCE remote kit that will work with XP-Pro (32 bit), AND the MCE plugin, AND work properly with the "Learn" function in DVBViewer (in the input section)?

If one also works with my existing remote... all the better. But at this point, I'd just settle for one that works.

Cheers

So, here's my newest question... Does anyone know of a MCE remote kit that will work with XP-Pro (32 bit), AND the MCE plugin, AND work properly with the "Learn" function in DVBViewer (in the input section)?

I should probably be more clear. What I mean is, one that will work with those three conditions together. I don't care at all about the remote working natively in Windows, or Windows Media Center... just DVBViewer. If it'll work with the Learn function in DVBViewer, I don't care if it doesn't work anywhere else.

Which brings up another idea. Do you think the kits that only say Vista & 7 (some actually say "not XP") would still work in XP for DVBViewer using the MCE plugin? It's hard to know what they mean when they say "not XP". They may mean XP Media Center OS, or they may mean that the IR receiver's driver won't work in XP at all. There's no way for me to know without external information or a unit to test. If the driver would work in XP, then I would think the MCE plugin would do the rest. But I'm just guessing, I'm hoping someone here will know.

Cheers

hp mce remote, mce remote.

search ebay for hp mce remote.

microsoft stopped selling mce remote years ago, any mce remote that work on XP will work on win7 or vista, it use the same driver.

there are 2 mce plugins on google, one is MCE Remote Plugin ver. 1.0 , second is MceIr V0.16 by Bruno FLEURETTE (2005)

Edited by bogdan1980

I found this one on the flea...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-Microsoft-MCE-Media-center-IR-Remote-Control-Kit-/220768028932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3366ccc904

... but it specifically says "Please be aware that it doesn't work with Win XP". What does that mean?

When you say "any mce remote that work on XP will work on win7 or vista, it use the same driver", is the reverse also true... at least where an XP/DVBV combo is concerned?

Cheers

Well, maybe this will help some other poor soul who has the Hauppauge 45 button remote. I'm guessing there's quite a few since it's packed with the most popular ATSC dual tuner card sold in North America.

I found this thread in the Plugins & Mods section...

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/42917-use-remote-control-of-hauppauge-hvr900h-with-DVBViewer/

I was reluctant to try this because the model number was different than mine, and RC5 seemed to have more reference than RC6... which is what I have. But, it seemed that figuring out the Win XP + MCE plugin + DVBV thing was at an empass. So I figured I had nothing to lose by revisiting the Hauppauge remote.

There's some really good info in the above link, but not all of it applies to my HVR2250's remote... at least, not where DVBV is concerned. I printed out the two documents in post #6 by blasgl. These were a good starting point.

The first thing I did was to load up notepad & press every button on the remote to see what function name was assigned. To my delight, every single button was already defined & functioning... including the big green windows button. Armed with that information, it was time to define DVBViewer in the application section of irremote.ini.

At first, I had some keys working as expected, and others not. After a while, I finally noticed the patterns of sucess & failure. Anywhere that I had assigned a command that wasn't completely contained in the curly brackets... it failed. If the command was contained in the curly brackets... it worked. For example...

RED={ctrl}r Does not work.

RED={F1} Does work.

Also...

RED=r Does not work.

BUT, there is an exception to this. 0-9 DOES work, even though they are not contained in curly brackets. Example...

5=5 Does work.

So that left me looking for as many keyboard keys as I could find that could be defined comppletely inside the brackets. Some examples are {F1} thru {F12}, and {Delete}, {Home}, {Pgup}, {Pgdn}, {Insert}, ect.

Once I figured all this out, it all started coming together. I suppose those commands that I have listed as "Does not work", probably do work with some other Hauppauge products... but not with mine.

Now my 45 button Hauppauge remote works on every key in DVBV. The only setback is that when playing from a playlist... if you choose Next or Previous, DVBV looses focus & the remote won't control DVBV again until you click on the screen with the mouse. I believe from what I've read that this is called "loosing focus".

But remember, I'm still using an older version of DVBV. Seems like I read where that was fixed in later versions. I'll find out after a while when I finally install 4.9. :)

I hope this helps someone else.

Cheers

...The only setback is that when playing from a playlist... if you choose Next or Previous, DVBV looses focus & the remote won't control DVBV again until you click on the screen with the mouse...

I found a work-around for this problem. When DVBV looses focus while going from one file to another in the playlist, the file being played still shows in the foreground, but focus has been shifted to the Desktop (if no other program is running, which is always the case for me).

To get around this, I went into the [Default] application and defined a button like this...

BUTTONNAME={alt}{tab}

Of course, this is the same as pressing Alt+Tab from the keyboard. Since DVBV is the only thing running besides the Desktop, this gives focus back to DVBV. The neat thing is, you can use any button that you like... even if it's already assigned in the [DVBViewer] application. Just be aware, if you hold it in too long, it will execute whatever DVBV command you have assigned to it after DVBV regains focus.

The more I learn about irremote.ini, the more I like this remote.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I just noticed a new Hauppauge Remote Plugin has been added to the customer area on Feb 6.

Does this new plugin work the way my OP was asking about (with the "Learn" function)? I do have my remote working with the method I posted about in this thread. But a solution that uses the "Learn" function would be a little cleaner. The irremote.ini method does have a little delay in response time that my old TT remote never had (it used the "Learn" function).

I clicked on the information link in the Customer Area. Unfortunately... I can't read German.

Cheers

OK, I downloaded the file and there is a readme file that includes an English section. So that answers one of my questions... yes, it does work with the "Learn" function.

Now I just need to figure out if the "Hauppauge Nova S2 HD" has the same remote control system as the HVR2250. In other words, will this plugin work for me? I can find that out on my own. But I will post back the results of my test in case someone else needs to know.

Cheers

Edited by Anony55
Now I just need to figure out if the "Hauppauge Nova S2 HD" has the same remote control system as the HVR2250.

I've developed and tested the plugin with a Nova S2 HD and its remote, as you can read in the ReadMe:

The plugin has been successfully tested with a Hauppauge Nova S2 HD under Windows XP SP3.

I've developed and tested the plugin with a Nova S2 HD and its remote, as you can read in the ReadMe:

Yes, I understand that.

What I'm saying is that I don't know if the Nova's remote system is similar or the same as the HVR2250's remote system for this plugin to work. I think there may be a chance that Hauppauge may use the same system in all their cards. Of course, I have no way to know this. That's why I'm going to test it on my HVR2250 (ATSC) card, and report back the results in this thread.

If it ends up it doesn't work on the HVR2250, it won't be a reflection of your work on the plugin. It'll just mean that the two systems aren't the same.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I just noticed a new Hauppauge Remote Plugin has been added to the customer area on Feb 6...

Now I just need to figure out if the "Hauppauge Nova S2 HD" has the same remote control system as the HVR2250. In other words, will this plugin work for me?...

Well I finally took the time to test this last night. HVR2250 owners rejoice!!! This plugin does indeed work for the remote connected to the 2250.

All you have to do is put the two DLL files where instructed, and follow the directions. It will learn every button on the HVR2250's 45 button remote.

I may go back to my irremote.ini solution because I now control more than DVBV with the remote. But if all you're gonna control is DVBV, this plugin is definitely easier to set up.

This plugin is great! And it's good to see it works on more than just the Nova S2.

Cheers