Hauppauge Colossus

cp2

I really believe, like a few other people already mentioned including myself there is a communication error and DVBViewer does fully recognise the Hdpvr 2. For whatever reason it does not wake up the device prior to scanning and this where I believe the fault lies. When you enter the encoder properties the fields are left blank despite it recognising it as a Huappauge device again suggesting it is not fully recognising the device. Think the only way to get this working is if the fine folks at Hauppauge could kindly donate a device to Christian so he can put his incredible knowledge to work and get this working.

This message actually occur if no valid card is found for the channel you try to tune. Are you sure that the tuner type you used for scanning in the old version is the same like the one you selected for the hardware in the current version? Can you start the DVBViewer in debug mode and select the channel?

I eventually (I think) worked out how to go into debug mode but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have recently updated to V6 and I think it has introduced a change.

Comparing the hardware.xml files I see that the Siena Capture card has now changed to Tuner 2 from Tuner Type 3 and Options/ Hardware will not allow me to change this.

My old system was on Tuner Type 3 which I think is ATSC.

Here is the Colossus 2 hardware.xml entry:

<section name="@device:pnp:\\?\usb#vid_2040&amp;pid_e585#e585-00-00d32b42#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\{9b365890-165f-11d0-a195-0020afd156e4}">

<entry name="LowBandWidth">1</entry>

<entry name="HasDialog">1</entry>

<entry name="UseHardwareFilter">1</entry>

<entry name="DisableEPG">1</entry>

<entry name="Name">Hauppauge Siena Video Capture</entry>

<entry name="TunerType">2</entry>

<entry name="Status">1</entry>

<entry name="InstID">Hauppauge Siena Video Capture 0</entry>

<entry name="DeviceNr">1</entry>

<entry name="Vendor">0</entry>

<entry name="Priority">2</entry>

<entry name="Tag">0</entry>

<entry name="DeviceType">3</entry>

<entry name="Groups">128</entry>

<entry name="Retune">0</entry>

<entry name="SkipComponents">0</entry>

<entry name="VideoRoute">0</entry>

<entry name="AudioRoute">0</entry>

<entry name="AudioFormat">0</entry>

I do hope that the mention of "usb" in the first entry doesn't mean that it fails the channel scan fails to connect to the PCIe card.

It seems to me that the fundemental problem is that DVBViewer does not recognise and configure the hardware correctly. This failure means that a channel scan will find nothing. Until this issue is resolved I don't think that there can be real progress.

This would explain, why you could not tune the imported channel.

Tunertype 3 is ATSC, you can change this in the options by selecting the Hauppauge device and then changing the tuner type. These devices have no actual tuner, so you can change it as you like it. 

As stated previously i tried to change the tuner type in the Options/ Hardware menu but it refused to accept the change. So, I edited the hardware.xml file and changed it there. The change was reflected in the Options/ Hardware menu.

I double clicked on my channel listing that I transferred from my old PC and got "No hardware available". So, the hardware profile and the channel list are not joined. I did also try a scan and no channels were found.

Also tried changing Sienna Capture to ATSC through the Hardware.xml as it wont allow you to change it through Options / Hardware (most probably because it doesn't recognise the device properly). As per cp2 no hardware available message.

Edited by goldfinger21

I opened Channel Editor and looked at the root entry of my "ha pvr" channel directory. I have put the Siena capture card exclusively on Group H but the root entry did not reflect this. So, I changed this and double clicked on my channel entry screen. This time I did not get "No hardware", instead I got a black screen.

The Options/Hardware/ Settings/Device/Video Decoder does indicate - Signal Detected: 1, Lines detected 1080. The video standard is set to NTSC_M (default?) which I don't think is a Sky box output. You can change this to one of the PALs but look at it again and the setting has reverted. Changes do not stick.

So, is the problem that the video decoder cannot be changed to the format of the signal or that the channel list fails to probably connect to the hardware? It isn't good that the device settings cannot be changed (assuming we knew what to change them to!) but I if the channel list was connecting correctly I would have expected some screen flashing even if the signal wasn't being decoded correctly.

Arrgh - seeks darkened room.

Exactly th same as me cp2 and which I already explained earlier, the settings do not reflect what other dvb software show including Jriver, and this boils down to DVBViewer not fully recognising the device. If it did recognise the device correctly the video standard setting would automatically detect what setting is needed as per the connected Sky HD / Q box along with the video encoder settings been able to change video and audio bitrate of recordings. Until this is fixed through a firmware update I do not think we will be able to scan for the channel.

Edited by goldfinger21
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I Wonder if there are some news, about this config using a Hauppauge Colossus 2 card, on DVBViewer, please?

I have got the same issue as glodfinger21: Sierra Video Capture, Terrestrian, no channel scanned...

regards

There is no news because i can not test it and honestly i have no idea why it does not work. It is mandatory that the virtual tuner type assigned to the device is equal to the one you try scan.

On 23/06/2017 at 5:06 PM, hackbart said:

There is no news because i can not test it and honestly i have no idea why it does not work. It is mandatory that the virtual tuner type assigned to the device is equal to the one you try scan.

Hmmm.. let's consider the possibilities...

Whilst luxuriating in the bath, glass of wine in hand, you have a sudden moment of absolute clarity and the solution is apparent.

You put a Colossus 2 on your birthday/ Christmas wish list and your wish is granted allowing you to test it.

Hauppauge send you a Colossus 2 for evaluation.

You establish a protocol to gain the necessary information by remote access to a computer with the equipment already installed.

Members of the DVBViewer forum make a collection and buy you one.

Or... we carry on with the problem unresolved. Unfortunately, this seems to be the likely outcome at least for now.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I need some help to config my capture card.

I have a original Hauppauge Colossus and a I didn't can config my card.

Let me explain all step that i followed:

1) I download the "Hauppauge PVR Channel Map Tool " from DVBViewer Members Area.

2) I unziped and saved in the DVBViewer folder on Windows.

3) I opened e configured as you can see in the image.

X4MPOwl.png

4) I opened the DVBViewer/Options/Hardware and adjusted the things.

saROFtg.png

5) After of it I tried find this "channel" maped.

tpn1TTy.png

When i click in "Scan Frequency" the fields still in blank and nothing happens. If clink one more time, the fields are filled as if it had been finalized the scan.

D4gNrjK.png

And a I can't set my capture card. I hope anyone could help me. C/c @hackbart

PS: I'm using the DVBViewer v6.0.3 

Edited by aleflima

So far you made everything correct. Can you start the DVBViewer in debug mode and provide the log? There was a bug in earlier versions which made it impossible to select the tuner type for these kind of encoding boxes, which has been fixed in the last build.

I assume there was also no error message shown? 

Did you set the Video and Audio Input Pin in the options properly? This is an issue i always have had with my Hauppauge PVR. If it is set improper, the application does not get any input data from the device. 

Christian

5 hours ago, hackbart said:

So far you made everything correct. Can you start the DVBViewer in debug mode and provide the log? There was a bug in earlier versions which made it impossible to select the tuner type for these kind of encoding boxes, which has been fixed in the last build.

I assume there was also no error message shown? 

Did you set the Video and Audio Input Pin in the options properly? This is an issue i always have had with my Hauppauge PVR. If it is set improper, the application does not get any input data from the device. 

Christian

Ok. I will provide the log in the next days, I just need some time. I will have busy days this week. Also I will check and update if necessary.

Yes, no message error.

I tested many combinations using Video Serial Digital and all audio options and no good results.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't look like we are going to progress on this issue.

I decided to give NextPVR a try as I am still unhappy with the Hauppauge software that came bundled with the Colossus 2 card.

NextPVR recognised the card and I was able to configure it easily. The interface is a bit clunky but initial capture trials are promising. I have restricted it to the Colossus card to keep things simple so I will continue to use DVBViewer for my terrestrial and satellite tuner cards, though I note that I could move them across too.

To be honest i tested a similar device (Tevii 663) in the last days and it works like it is intend to. You select the input source under options->hardware->device property for audio and video-data (e.g. HDMI) and then you do a channel scan with the virtual adapter. 

Can you do the following: Start the DVBViewer in Debug Mode. There is a menu entry for this under windows. Then open the scan window and click to Scan Frequency. After this close the app and provide the support.zip information. As i said, i was forced to test this on a remote pc with a similar device (same chip) and it worked from scratch. 

iI think this is us going around again!

DVBViewer isn't in my WIN 10 Start Menu so no debug option there. (I created a shortcut to start the program direct from the .exe program). Is there an option that i can add to the shortcut command like -debug?

If i examine the hardware "Hauppauge Siera Video Capture" the tuner type is set to Terrestrial and cannot be changed.

If i look at settings for the hardware and use the Device button the Video decoder tab is set to a video standard of NTSC_M and cannot be changed but 1 signal of 1080 is detected.

So, I'm struggling to get it to scan meaningfully probably because it is scanning for a terrestrial channel.

We do talk about the current DVBViewer version, right? 

You have to start the DVBViewer with parameter -debug. You should select a tuner which is not available by physical devices. For example if you are outside US&A you can use ATSC for your colossus. Then open the scanner, select ATSC and press scan frequency. I do need the debug.log created if you start the application in debug mode. This contains all steps done while assembling the graph for this device and it also includes the error message, if there is one. 

I'm running version 6.0.2.0

As I've stated before if I go to Hardware, select the device and use the dropbox to change the Tuner type from Terrestrial to ATSC it immediately reverts to Terrestrial. The change will not stick.

I think that i can get it to lock onto the hardware by deleting the device and rescanning - it shows " NoPlayback" presumably because there are no scanned channels. However, it will only scan against a Terrestrial signal and finds nothing.

Progress!? I've updated to the latest version (ticking the Start Menu option too!) and the change to ATSC stuck.

Hopefully the attached support.zip file will move us on a bit more.

support.zip

If i check hardware the Hauppauge Siera Video Capture device has a tuner type of ATSC, Channel Group B.

I go onto the Reception Settings/Channel Search option, and select ATSC from the available reception times. This offers me American Cable or American ATSC. I pick the latter (does it matter which?) and then press the Scan button. The transponder list choices are also as above and Group B can be selected. I use a dedicated target root and press Scan Range or Scan Frequency. The bar moves across - nothing is found. I suspect that I'm not scanning using the correct "list".

I should add that I have downloaded the latest Transedit and it doesn't see the device in its hardware listing.

Thanks,

could you execute the DVBViewer with Parameter -debug please?

I added in the binary a couple of log entries which should appear in the .log file.

This should look like this:

Screenshot 2017-12-01 um 19.08.12.jpg

This one is fine, at least i can see what happens:

01.12.17 19:07:43.759 BuildGraph           Get Capture Filter
01.12.17 19:07:43.762 BuildGraph           Get Crossbar Filter
01.12.17 19:07:43.764 BuildGraph           Get Encoder Filter
01.12.17 19:07:43.765 BuildGraph           Failed to use Hauppauge Siena Encoder
01.12.17 19:07:43.766 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Open failed
01.12.17 19:08:12.681 BuildGraph           Get Capture Filter
01.12.17 19:08:12.684 BuildGraph           Get Crossbar Filter
01.12.17 19:08:12.686 BuildGraph           Get Encoder Filter
01.12.17 19:08:12.686 BuildGraph           Failed to use Hauppauge Siena Encoder
01.12.17 19:08:12.687 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Open failed
01.12.17 19:09:03.613 BuildGraph           Get Capture Filter
01.12.17 19:09:03.616 BuildGraph           Get Crossbar Filter
01.12.17 19:09:03.618 BuildGraph           Get Encoder Filter
01.12.17 19:09:03.619 BuildGraph           Failed to use Hauppauge Siena Encoder
01.12.17 19:09:03.620 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Open failed

This means that the last step, connecting the pins from the Video and Audio Output fails. Are you sure that no hauppauge application runs in background? I remember a similar issue with a Tevii device, while the user had the Tevii Application running at the same time.

Whilst i have another Hauppauge satellite card I do not have any of their software running as far as i can see. There are two programs in the startup routine that are disabled and i can see a service item which i have also disabled.

I ran the debug routine again with the same result.

I acknowledge that the presence of other devices in my PC makes it difficult to be sure of a "clean" report but this is the way it is.

support.zip

Can you use the binary i have sent to you? I don't see the additional log entries i added. Oh and try to disable the DVBViewer media server for your tests please.

I am using the DVBViewer.exe file that you sent - dated 1/12/2017 timestamped at 15.45. As previously stated i substituted it into my existing installation.

I do not use DVBViewer media server so under options the "Enable support for DVBViewer media server is not ticked.

Thanks,

according to the log the video and audio pin of the Encoder pin is not found.

I will check this with Hauppauge out and keep you informed.

Christian

• Thanks 1

Thanks, did you started the code with -debug Parameter? I will keep the class now like it is since it seem to work. Maybe you can start with -debug again and tune a station which where the colossus is used. There is only one line in the debug.log which is of interest:

No proper Pin, so try the first one with Major: %s Sub: %s.

I just need the Guids shown there.