DVBViewer Media Server Hangs

Elnur Hajiyev

I have recently got DVBViewer Pro and DVBViewer Media Server to schedule recordings of a DVB-S broadcast. DVBViewer Media Server hangs very frequently in an unpredictable manner after I exit DVBViewer Pro. As a result all scheduled recordings fail to start and DVBViewer Pro cannot connect to the DVB-S device anymore until the DVBViewer Media Server is manually stopped(by killing DVBVservice.exe from the Task Manager). This contradicts with my main rationale behind purchasing the DVBViewer Media Server as I cannot rely on the product now for scheduled recordings. Today I lost half of the recording due to this(I realized the issue halfway through the stream and started the recording manually).

I saw this issue from 3 years ago describes the exact same symptoms with the only exception that I don't need to keep the DVBViewer Pro open for hours: it can happen even when you close the app after a few seconds.

I am attaching the log file created as per this guide.

Replication steps:

1. Open and close DVBViewer Pro (Debug Mode) several times until you get no signal in the subsequent attempt.
  2. Close DVBViewer Pro (Debug Mode) immediately after you realize no signal in the program screen.
  3. Kill DVBVservice.exe in Task Manager.
  4. Open SupportTool.exe comes with the DVBViewer Pro installation.

Notes:

• I observed is that likelihood of hitting the issue increases when I add a new record schedule(usually a minute long schedule for the following minute) before closing the app.
  • I never rebooted the PC during execution of the above steps and never used the web interface.
  • I have favourite channels configured(the XML file is attached in the post).
  • I installed every thing offered free of charge during the installation of DVBViewer Pro and DVBViewer Media Server.
  • The only other client I have beside DVBViewer Pro is TBSViewer and I never used it along with the DVBViewer Media Server.
  • I never installed any plugin/add-on explicitly.
  • Both the server and the client run in the same machine.

Devices:

• TBS6903-X as the DVB-S receiver (driver version 2.0.0.3)
  • EVGA GTX670 FTW as the GPU (driver version 30.0.14.7414)

support.zip favourites.xml

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Elnur Hajiyev:

I installed every thing offered free of charge during the installation of DVBViewer Pro and DVBViewer Media Server.

A bit too much. Please remove TbsCIapi.dll from your DVBViewer program directory. It is a known source of instabilities and useless anyway, because your TBS6903-X has no CI. The Media Server loads the DLL, because "Has CI module" is ticked in the hardware settings for both tuners.

6 hours ago, Griga said:

Please remove TbsCIapi.dll from your DVBViewer program directory. It is a known source of instabilities

@Griga, thanks for the suggestion. Can you confirm if this was the actual reason of the failure in my case by looking at the log files or you cannot find anything wrong in the log files? I deleted the file and the system works so far. But because the issue is hard to reproduce I am not sure if this is resolved or I may encounter it again unexpectedly. To put it another way I want to know if I can rely on the Media Server now for the scheduled recordings when I am away.

I wonder if this is related to the previous reporting I linked above and if that one had came to a resolution eventually.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Elnur Hajiyev:

Can you confirm if this was the actual reason of the failure in my case by looking at the log files

No. tl;dr :)

I just had a look at your SystemInfo.txt, saw that TbsCIapi.dll was installed, and a look at your svchardware.xml with the "Has CI module" option, and remembered my own experience with TBS devices...