H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by dirkv

Hi, me again....after some more testing i came around another thing i cant quiet explain...

I capped a short BBC HD Clip (but this goes for any other AC3 channel too) with Cyberlink h264 and AC3 Filter. I can play it back with TSPlayer okay (Stuttering included :) ). But if i try to play it back with any other program (media player classic for example), i dont get any sound. A short glance at the graph gives an explonation:

graph5mr.jpg

The Audio doesnt seem to get recognized. But as mentioned before, TSPlayer plays the audio just fine. The DVBSource looks normal too:

dvbsource7fn.jpg

So i dunno whats causing that effect. It may not be too bad as i can just use the tsplayer, but i find it very strange behaviour. I also looked for some other demultiplexer to build in the graph, but couldnt find any suitabel one.

dirk

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Original by klaymen

Great, the resolution displayed is now corect in all cases! Also, the property page shows "Reconnected" (for video as well as for audio) also on the BBC HD channel.

It would therefore be really usefull if there were an option (other than uninstalling the decoder) to globally disable H.264 playback.

There is this possibility, just disable AV while recording. In the GE version, when you call recording controls, where you define whether it should record into mpg or ts, just below, you can disable playback while recording. You can also just disable video but keep audio so you can still keep a bit of orientation. My system then only experiences 3-4% CPU load while recording with audio still on. Alternatively you could install the graph plugin and so disable audio and video by using GraphEdit. In the Pro version, this option is found under options, recording somewhere (or in the timer control where it can be disabled/enabled selectively for each program).

Another question: As other, I'd also like to record the Planet Earth marathon tomorrow. I wonder if it's better to record it as a .ts file, or as an .mpg file. as far as compatibility with future codecs are concerned? I tend to a .ts file as I think it might record more data, but as I didn't find any way to transform such a ts to mpg later (all software I found seem to be incompatible with BBC HD, probably only for Us HDTV transmissions), maybe there are also some arguments for .mpg?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

Ok, that was really helpful to pinpoint the problem - at least I'm quite sure that I detected that bug now. Thanks.  :)

..yep, now it's working correctly. I thought that the wrong resolution in the taskbar was a feature and not a real bug. I posted more than one shot in the past showing this :D

Original by Clint C

I've uploaded a DVBViewer Filter test version to the members area, beta section. Please try and tell me what it does.

For everybody else: Please note that the Settings -> Options -> DirectShow -> Detect Video Format checkmark is not set by default in DVBViewer GE. If the decoder doesn't display the picture correctly, please tick that checkbox after having replaced the PushSource.ax by the test version.

What :) ? You've fixed it already? Wow, I'll test it out later when the kids are in bed.

Clint.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Clint_C

Yup, works a treat, no more black bar. Thanks Griga.

All we need now is a super efficient H.264 codec and we'll all be happy bunnies...

Clint.

Original beim Torben

I think, when CoreAVC comes with GPU support, it Decoding won't be a problem anymore.

Buy a NVIDIA 6600/6600GT an be happy of the nice pictures.

Torben

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Mr.Bun

Another question: As other, I'd also like to record the Planet Earth marathon tomorrow. I wonder if it's better to record it as a .ts file, or as an .mpg file. as far as compatibility with future codecs are concerned? I tend to a .ts file as I think it might record more data, but as I didn't find any way to transform such a ts to mpg later (all software I found seem to be incompatible with BBC HD, probably only for Us HDTV transmissions), maybe there are also some arguments for .mpg?

I'd use the ts-format.

If you really need/want mpg you can always do the conversion later using TSPlayer.

This, just like recording in mpg-format, is of course not a re-encoding of H.264 to MPEG2-HD but merely a "re-packaging" of the streams.

Original by Torben

Hello Griga,

- Fix: The number of written bytes on the Conversion Tab wasn't updated when cutting / extracting from TS to TS.

This was also when you conversed TS to MPG and watched the file at the same time (Real Time Encoding :) )

Just make the list being complete.

Torben

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by jf2020

This, just like recording in mpg-format, is of course not a re-encoding of H.264 to MPEG2-HD but merely a "re-packaging" of the streams.

Hi

As it's out of question for me to watch it live or even play it based on the specs of my PC :) I was wondering if it's possible to convert the H264 stream into a HD stream in MPEG2 (or Xvid does it make sense?) and also downscale it to e.g 1366*768 so that it can be played with a not so powerful CPU/GPU (P4 2.4Ghz, GeForce 5200)?

Can you recommend a tool that would be able to do that? Processing time is not a problem as I can wait (like I do to convert normal MPEG2 to Xvid...)

JF.

Original by mitsu

Anyone still able to watch SKY Italia H.264 demo channel in Hotbird? For some reason DVBViewer is now immediately crashing when tuned on the SKY Italia channel. Windows crash info screen says that the crash is occurring in coreavcdecoder module.

Original by Griga

It would therefore be really usefull if there were an option (other than uninstalling the decoder) to globally disable H.264 playback.

Probably there will be a checkbox on the General Tab: "Enable H.264 support", that affects all aspects: Scanning, file playback (including detection of H.264 content) and live playback.

I'm unsure wether it shall be enabled by default or not. Disabled would be better for users who are not familiar with H.264 and the accompanying difficulties, but I fear it will cause a lot of requests like "Why can't the scanner detect the HD channels? Why can't DVBViewer GE play H.264?" :)

Original by Griga

Probably there will be a checkbox on the General Tab: "Enable H.264 support", that affects all aspects: Scanning, file playback (including detection of H.264 content) and live playback.

I'm unsure wether it shall be enabled by default or not. Disabled would be better for users who are not familiar with H.264 and the accompanying difficulties, but I fear it will cause a lot of requests like "Why can't the scanner detect the HD channels? Why can't DVBViewer GE play H.264?" :)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

..disabling AV when recording finally with an option like in other applications? :D

If this will be implemented for h.264 why not as a general option? If somebody says, that the GE already has this function, this is not quite true. The BBC HD stream is a good example. On many machines it is not possible to open the channel without problems when the graph is active. If you switch off playback, you can't control the vrp cos the DVBViewer releases the source. My workaround: tune to the sdtv channel on the transponder, open the vrp and check the hd channel. Rather clumsy isn't it? :P

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by mitsu

No problem to watch..

Are you using CoreAVC codec? Elecard can decode the transmission but CoreAVC crashes in my system. Seems that SKY is sending 1280x720. I don't know whether that is the problem. I will send an error report to Corecodec.

Original by Griga

After trying this and that yesterday, it finally came to

- scanning / detecting H.264 channels remains enabled.

- H.264 video playback is switched off

- audio playback still works

if the new "Options -> General -> Enable H.264 playback" checkbox is unticked.

Original by mitsu

No problem to watch..

Are you using CoreAVC codec? Elecard can decode the transmission but CoreAVC crashes in my system. Seems that SKY is sending 1280x720. I don't know whether that is the problem. I will send an error report to Corecodec.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

No problem to watch..

With a different DVB software (ehm-ehm) it works with CoreAVC (yes, they switched to 1280x720 three days ago....funny enough, now they also have an encrypted channel, Test 4, that's broadcasting 1080i films in Mpeg2).

Original by mitsu

With a different DVB software (ehm-ehm) it works with CoreAVC (yes, they switched to 1280x720 three days ago....funny enough, now they also have an encrypted channel, Test 4, that's broadcasting 1080i films in Mpeg2).

Well, then this might be a DVBViewer problem. Griga, would you have time to look at this clip (SKY Italia H.264 demo):

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...48AA2FC37C2DEEF

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Griga

Here it plays pretty well with CoreAVC. I tried it with TSPlayer, DVBViewer GE 1.9.5.3 and DVBViewer Filter 2.7.5.1. Thanks for the sample.

Original by mcwebster

I wonder if anyone can help me, I had BBC HD working with juddering with my old Win2k machine, and the PowerDVD 7 installed, so to get flawless playback bought myself a new setup,dual core etc. Loaded it with Media Edition, and the same as I had on the old machine. Can I get BBC HD workng at all now? Can I hell, all I get is DVBViewer GE has encountered a problem and must close. It works fine for regular channels, but the moment i try BBC HD this happens. I can hear audio before it says it must close, but that's it, have done exactly the same as I think I did on my old machine. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by mitsu

Here it plays pretty well with CoreAVC. I tried it with TSPlayer, DVBViewer GE 1.9.5.3 and DVBViewer Filter 2.7.5.1. Thanks for the sample.  :)

I was afraid of this :D

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong? DVBViewer just crashes with both live transmission and recording. I can post the crash dump file if that would help.

BetaBoy said that SKY is MBAFF and that is not supported before 1.1 which is coming next week. I doubt that that would be the problem.

Edit: One more thing: if I select Elecard from DVBV DirectX options for H.264 decoder CoreAVC is still used for decoding. Elecard is used only when I unregister CoreAVC. Weird.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Derrick

You need the elecard decoder from the decoder pack. I can select coreavc, elecard and cyberlink. Check whether everything is registered correctly..

btw. apparently sky stopped the test transmission. Yesterday everything on this transponder was scrambled. :)

Original by mitsu

btw. apparently sky stopped the test transmission. Yesterday everything on this transponder was scrambled.  :)

That must be illegal :D

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by steffenvogel

I thinks its illegal to upload the decoder?

Ok i tried the new trial version. It works perfect...

Only VMR9 is a little bit laggy...

Its a bug of VMR9.

Overlay, Unchanged and VMR works perfect, but without trancparancy .

Is there a workarounf for this poblem?

What is the best mode for displaying the video? Is the a possibility to use VMR for the standart resultion and unchanged for HDTV?

mfg Steffen

Original by emre_zen

I thinks its illegal to upload the decoder?

Ok i tried the new trial version. It works perfect...

Only VMR9 is a little bit laggy...

Its a bug of VMR9.

Overlay, Unchanged and VMR works perfect, but without trancparancy :).

Is there a workarounf for this poblem?

What is the best mode for displaying the video? Is the a possibility to use VMR for the standart resultion and unchanged for HDTV?

mfg Steffen

what version of DVBViewer are you using? it's not working at all for me.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by bakerpr

Could someone please let me know where I can update my cyberlink decoder and confirm whether HW acceleration works with Nvidia cards.

Original by alexanderjenz

HW Acceleration with nvidia and cyberlink h264 decorder works prefect in pro7 sat 1 and anixe hd. buy the coder from cyberlink webstore. google for mpeg4 av pack cyberlink. it is hard to find in the shop.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by torben

Hello people,

i managed to play a sample of anixeHD with Trial auf PowerDVD7 and the TSPlayer + DVBSource 2.8.

Resolution: 1920*1088

It runs SMOOTHLY on my P4 3.0 GHz with Hypertreading GPU Geforce FX5200.

I think I'll buy a 6600GT for handling the interlaced material.

Technotrend's carb will be available within 1,5 - 2 wekks, told me Mr. Hundt from the DVBShop Support.

NICE NEWS!

Let's all sing.

We don't need polticis, we don't need ######...

WE JUST NEED H.264

Torben

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by jas

Hi new here from Singapore.

Our HD Trials have begun using free to air DVB-T by Mediacorp(Eq to your BBC) as well through pay cable by a private operator .

Our FTA broadcasts are similar to BBC-T using MPEG-4 H.264 (AVC) High Profile Level 4.

As only limited number of trialists are selected my only hope of getting HD signal is via DVB_T card. Thus I have been following this and other UK forums for some hints but am getting a bit lost.

Besides DVB-T card (eg Nova-T)and accompanying software, latest coreAVC 1.1 or PowerDVD7 what else do i need. Do i need DVBViewer also?

How do i integrate corAVC codecs, to s'ware supplied with card? Any step-by-step help will be most appreciated.

Thank you by your kind help.

Original by jas

By the way the file BBC_H264_test6[1].ts that I downloaded plays fairly smoothly using Elecard Mpeg player with H.264 codec pack.

My System: AMD 64 3.4G, 1 Mg ram , ATI X1300P video card.