H.264 Kit discussion

hackbart

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by klaymen

i managed to play a sample of anixeHD with Trial auf PowerDVD7 and the TSPlayer + DVBSource 2.8.

Resolution: 1920*1088

It runs SMOOTHLY on my P4 3.0 GHz with Hypertreading GPU Geforce FX5200.

Did anybody already try it out with current BBC HD material on a Nvidia 6600 (not the downloaded ts, that has a different profile than current transmissions)? Unfortunately I can't try it out until I get home tonight, just read about the good news and I'm stuck at work for the moment :)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• klaymen

• Griga

• Zyknyp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Original by klaymen

Did anybody already try it out with current BBC HD material on a Nvidia 6600 (not the downloaded ts, that has a different profile than current transmissions)? Unfortunately I can't try it out until I get home tonight, just read about the good news and I'm stuck at work for the moment  :P

I had to go over noon and try it out.. and guess what? It works!!! (w00t):):bye: Finally I'm getting Angel Falls perfectly fluently! I didn't change any settings yet, don't even know if HW acceleration is activated or not. CPU is at about 80-85%, and it looks just as it should. Now THAT really made my day :D

Some additional remarks: Whether I turn on or off HW acceleration from within the PowerDVD application doesn't seem to have any influence within TSPlayer, CPU load is both ways about the same, and the property page of the filter doesn't seem to offer any such option (only a "DxVA" checkbox, whatever that might be, but it doesn't seem to change anything either). Also, my earlier observation that VMR7 renderer is faster than overlay still seems to be true, Overlay rendering lets CPU load to grow to up to 95% (but still fluently), while VMR7 maxes at around 90%. And finally, media playback within DVBViewer Beta itself isn't fluent yet (but at noticably lower CPU load, around 70%, spread over both cores), while DVBViewer GE is fluent. But maybe that's just a question of thread priority. And, as mentioned above, AC3filter is required for audio.

Other AVC material (Anixe) is much faster too, around 40-45% max in my case. So it still seems to be true that BBC HD eats twice as much power than "normal" HD footage.

Guess tonight I'll spend 5 hours to watch the whole Planet Earth marathon.. hehe

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by goelectric

Hi Klaymen,

Could you let us all know what your set up is please so we can compare and contrast.

I have now got BBC HDTV working after a day of reading the forums and installing and uninstalling drivers and software and messing with settings. Its almost perfect ....... there is a very slight blur/stutter on fast moving images with the cpu getting upto 96% and it claims it isnt dropping any frames. :)

Here is my setup

Sony 3GHz HT Windows XP

DVBViewer Beta 3.4.10.13(beta)

Latest DVBViewer H.264 Kit from members area

Added BBC HDTV channel to channel list for Astra 28E

Frequency 10847, symbol rate 220000, polarity V

Video PID 2318

Audio PID 2319

Servicer PID 6940

AC3 checked (no sound before I checked this)

GeForce 6800 Graphics card with 128MB

Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 trial version (uses the NVidia h.264 support)

NVidia latest 91.28 Beta driver (tried the latest stable release version 84.21 that has h.264 HDTV support but it was very jumpy)

Setup for BVBViewer:-

Menu/settings/Options

/Extended

Set priority to high

/DirectX

Manually set the H.264 Video Decoder option to use the Cyberlink one (tried the Elecard one - but the Cyberlink one was better - much less jerky video)

Video Renderer VMR9 Video Mixing (VMR7 showed a grey square obscuring the video in live playback)

Now what has happened to the BBC schedule for HDTV - the link shows an error :D-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/sear...service_id=2075

Original by klaymen

OK, I made some additional tests, now with direct reception. It's still working pretty well, but there are some strange observations - mostly of subjective nature though...

First of all, live viewing (Pro and GE versions) is less fluent than playback of recorded TS files using TSPlayer. Mainly when there are fast horizontal movements (Hotel Babylon part), this movement is a bit jerky within DVBViewer, but much nicer in TSPlayer using the recorded TS file. Also Angel Falls is not *completely* fluent within DVBViewer (and CPU one time even climbed up to 100% on both cores *g*), but TSPlayer can display the TS-file smoothly with CPU load not going over about 91% at worst). So I would estimate that using DVBViewer you loose up to 10% CPU load compared to TSPlayer.

One strange (and objective) thing I noticed using DVBViewer - both the Pro Beta and the GE version. After some time of live viewing, the originally fluent movement suddenly becomes jerky (after maybe a minute). But it is no CPU problem; on the contrary, the CPU load drops dramatically, to about 30-40% (on both cores). But as soon as I rebuild the graph (View -> Rebuild graph), the movement becomes fluent again, and CPU climbs again to 85-90%. Unfortunately this repeats some time later, not in regular time intervals, but probably triggered by some features of the data stream. I didn't observe this behaviour within TSPlayer for recorded files, but will have to check that for long records to say for sure. It is the same effect I reported in my earlier posting about the GE version, but actually it happens with both versions, sometimes from the start, sometimes after some time of playing. When it happens I can't say; but it only gets fixed temporarily by rebuilding the graph.

I didn't try yet to set the priority in Extended to High, I will try that tomorrow. Until now it was all time long on Normal.

There is one final problem, and this is video-audio-sync. It is very very subtle, and I only noticed it before by carefully watching mouth movements in the Bleach House demo; I have the impression that audio is slightly behind video. It is hard to notice, and maybe already present in the original footage, and surely it isn't more than one or at most 2 frames. This happens in DVBViewer as well as in TSPlayer.

My setup: AMD X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, Asus 6600 Silencer

DVBViewer 3.4.9.261 (Pro Beta), DVB Source 2.8.0 with H.264 support

Latest Cyberlink PowerDVD Trial 7

TSPlayer 1.7.3.2

NVidia drivers 84.21 (actually the beta versions didn't work for me, I got a green overlay over all DVBViewer output)

About the BBC programme: you're right, the link has gone... I'm using DigiGuide, and there I still have a listing (I think at least, maybe it's only cached :-)

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by pjholland

Specs

-AMD X2 4800

-nvidia 7800GTX

-SS2

Forceware 84.21/DVBViewer Ge 1.9.5.3/Latest DVBSource & h.264 kit

I was using the old cyberlink decoder and was getting very jerky playback. The new decoder (included in the 29/05/2006 version of powerdvd7) is playing 25fps smoothly at about 45% cpu.

Setting/unsetting the DXVA checkbox seems to have no effect whatsoever on cpu usage. I also noticed that when playing a h.264 file in powerdvd itself the hardware acceleration checkbox is disabled.

I also can no longer use the Powerdvd audio decoder (the one from the previous version of powerdvd7 worked fine)

I'm still having problems getiing DVBViewer to choose a h.264 codec, even though i can make the graph fine in graphedit.

Original by klaymen

I was using the old cyberlink decoder and was getting very jerky playback.  The new decoder (included in the 29/05/2006 version of powerdvd7) is playing 25fps smoothly at about 45% cpu.

Setting/unsetting the DXVA checkbox seems to have no effect whatsoever on cpu usage.  I also noticed that when playing a h.264 file in powerdvd itself the hardware acceleration checkbox is disabled.

But that isn't BBC HD material, is it? For I can't play that from within PowerDVD itself, the screen remains dark then. I think this is because of this timestamp problem on BBC material, that only plays back fine from within TSPlayer (and DVBViewer itself). Also, 45% CPu usage seems very low for BBC material, even for a 4200 (not impossible of course), maybe it's other H.264 footage (Anixe, Pro7, Sat1)?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

I have now got BBC HDTV working after a day of reading the forums and installing and uninstalling drivers and software and messing with settings. Its almost perfect ....... there is a very slight blur/stutter on fast moving images with the cpu getting upto 96% and it claims it isnt dropping any frames. :arrow:

Here is my setup

Sony 3GHz HT Windows XP

DVBViewer Beta 3.4.10.13(beta)

Latest DVBViewer H.264 Kit from members area

Added BBC HDTV channel to channel list for Astra 28E

Frequency 10847, symbol rate 220000, polarity V

Video PID 2318

Audio PID 2319

Servicer PID 6940

AC3 checked (no sound before I checked this)

GeForce 6800 Graphics card with 128MB

I'm afraid (almost all) Geforce 6800 have a crippled hardware when it comes down to accelerating H.264 and WMVHD material: it just won't work.

Original by Zyknyp

Specs

-AMD X2 4800

-nvidia 7800GTX

-SS2

Forceware 84.21/DVBViewer Ge 1.9.5.3/Latest DVBSource & h.264 kit

I was using the old cyberlink decoder and was getting very jerky playback.  The new decoder (included in the 29/05/2006 version of powerdvd7) is playing 25fps smoothly at about 45% cpu.

Setting/unsetting the DXVA checkbox seems to have no effect whatsoever on cpu usage.  I also noticed that when playing a h.264 file in powerdvd itself the hardware acceleration checkbox is disabled.

I also can no longer use the Powerdvd audio decoder (the one from the previous version of powerdvd7 worked fine)

I'm still having problems getiing DVBViewer to choose a h.264 codec, even though i can make the graph fine in graphedit.

You have to use the latest Forceware drivers, 91.28, if you want to take advatange of PureVideo H.264 acceleration by new PowerDVD7 codec.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by pjholland

But that isn't BBC HD material, is it? For I can't play that from within PowerDVD itself, the screen remains dark then. I think this is because of this timestamp problem on BBC material, that only plays back fine from within TSPlayer (and DVBViewer itself). Also, 45% CPu usage seems very low for BBC material, even for a 4200 (not impossible of course), maybe it's other H.264 footage (Anixe, Pro7, Sat1)?

bbchd0fy.png

Original by klaymen

And you can play BBC TS files within PowerDVD itself (not only DVBViewer)? Strange, in my case the display remains dark...

Original by boez

New PowerDVD7 trial with support for H.264 HW acceleration for Nvidia Purevideo and Ati Avivo.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/trials_1_ENU.html

I followed your link and found that the date on the Cyberlink page is 05/29/06 but when you click through to the download dot com page the date shows as May 5 2006 plus the filesize is smaller (32Mb as opposed to 36Mb).

Is this the version you had success with?

Original by goelectric

New PowerDVD7 trial with support for H.264 HW acceleration for Nvidia Purevideo and Ati Avivo.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/trials_1_ENU.html

I followed your link and found that the date on the Cyberlink page is 05/29/06 but when you click through to the download dot com page the date shows as May 5 2006 plus the filesize is smaller (32Mb as opposed to 36Mb).

Is this the version you had success with?

Hmm - strange indeed - I downloaded the trial version yesterday and it worked very well - so I payed for the full version - had to download it to register it - it overwrote the trial version - and now it doesnt work as well - live bbc hd tv is jerky and the cpu usage is up - the full version is dated May 5 2006 iso 05/29/06 and is 32M - unfortunately I deleted the trial version installer :arrow: so I cant check if it was a more recent release. The full version about says version 7.0 and properties on windows show the installer with a version of 4.0.100.1190

The full version works but is I'm sure there is some performance fall off from when I had the trial version yesterday.....

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

[...]

The full version works but is I'm sure there is some performance fall off from when I had the trial version yesterday.....

Yes, I just realized I'm not alone....I think this beast moves

Original by goelectric

[...]

The DXVA checkbox has disappeared in the version of PoweDVD that I downloaded today - or I've forgotten where it was :arrow:

Wonder what they are playing at?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

[...]

The DXVA checkbox has disappeared in the version of PoweDVD that I downloaded today - or I've forgotten where it was :arrow:

Wonder what they are playing at?

Simple: at Cyberlink's they haven't yet updated the full, registered PowerDVD7 download, which is still the old PowerDVD7 without Avivo/PureVideo HW support for H.264 (that's why there's no "Hardware Acceleration/DXVA checkbox, the old version didn't have it). The new one is still only trial...

Original by ginacman

Simple: at Cyberlink's they haven't yet updated the full, registered PowerDVD7 download, which is still the old PowerDVD7 without Avivo/PureVideo HW support for H.264  [...]

That's true.

Except the previous version 7 cut out a gleaming H.264 logo in their splash screen.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by boez

Simple: at Cyberlink's they haven't yet updated the full, registered PowerDVD7 download, which is still the old PowerDVD7 without Avivo/PureVideo HW support for H.264 (that's why there's no "Hardware Acceleration/DXVA checkbox, the old version didn't have it). The new one is still only trial...

But if you follow the link above it takes you to a page which explicitly says it support H.264 hardware decoding. You then follow the link to download a trial version and it appears to take you to an older version. Strange! I dont know if this version supports hardware decoding as its still downloading after 3 hours! All I know is the date and file size is different from the Cyberlink page details.

Original by klaymen

Hmm, if that's of help, I still got the new trial version (that works well), and its h.264 codec (C:\Programme\Cyberlink\Powerdvd\Videofilter\CL264dec.ax) is dated May 5th 17:58:24 and 507972 bytes long, file version is 1.7.0.1626. Also I found it's working by just copying the whole content of the Videofilter folder somewhere (it contains several dll's in addition) and registering the .ax file. Maybe this filter alone doesn't expire after 30 days? :-) Anyway, I'll wait for some time before buying it!

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ACEofCLUBS

Been following this H264 thingy and got it all working eventually on my system. can view the BBC HD demo stuff on 10847/28.2E but it's very jerky. I only have a single cpu pc,AMDXP3200+ @ 2.23GHz, 512Mb ram,ATI Radeon 9800Pro.

maybe my system is just not powerful enough, cpu usage is running at 98-100% when viewing the HD stuff. all latest drivers etc loaded.

any comments???? :arrow:

Original by boez

Hmm, if that's of help, I still got the new trial version (that works well), and its h.264 codec (C:\Programme\Cyberlink\Powerdvd\Videofilter\CL264dec.ax) is dated May 5th 17:58:24 and 507972 bytes long, file version is 1.7.0.1626. Also I found it's working by just copying the whole content of the Videofilter folder somewhere (it contains several dll's in addition) and registering the .ax file. Maybe this filter alone doesn't expire after 30 days? :-) Anyway, I'll wait for some time before buying it!

Thanks klaymen, this is the same version I downloaded. I'll report back with results when I try it out tonight.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by boez

Been following this H264 thingy and got it all working eventually on my system. can view the BBC HD demo stuff on 10847/28.2E but it's very jerky. I only have a single cpu pc,AMDXP3200+ @ 2.23GHz, 512Mb ram,ATI Radeon 9800Pro.

maybe my system is just not powerful enough, cpu usage is running at 98-100% when viewing the HD stuff. all latest drivers etc loaded.

any comments???? :arrow:

Your system is very similar to mine (3200+/1Mb RAM/6800) and I get stinking performance. Around 15fps. The BBC HD material is especially difficult as it is at such a high bit rate.

The situation regarding hardware assisted H.264 decoding is still very unclear but I'm hoping if this is proven to work then our lowly CPU may be able to cope. Of course I'll have to upgrade to at least a 6600 but its a lot cheaper than a dual core CPU. Here's hoping!

Edit : I mean 'upgrade' from a 6800 to a 6600 cos as is well documented the 6800 AGP cards are lame when it comes to hardware assisted decoding :huh:

Original by gianluca78

I had downloaded PowerDVD 7 Trial and now there is checkbox "Hardware accelerator with ATI AVIVO". But the visualization isn't very well. The CPU is at 45-50% and My System is Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and 2 GB RAM, ATI x1800xt 512 MB.

Power DVD 7 Information :

Player Information:

Player Region Code: Not Specified

Current Drive: D:

Title Region Code: Not Available

Audio Attributes: Not Available

Hardware Information:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ running at 2211 MHz

3DNow! Technology: In Use

Enhanced 3DNow! Technology: In Use

3DNow! Professional Technology: In Use

IA MMX Technology: In Use

IA Streaming SIMD Extensions: In Use

IA SSE 2: In Use

Video Accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)

Multispeaker Audio Device: SB X-Fi Audio [8000] (not in use)

SPDIF Output Device: SB X-Fi Audio [8000] (not in use)

Why Video Avvelerator DirectX VA said "not in use"?

Can I to improve my visualization?

Sorry for my english.

Gianluca

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

[...] Your system is very similar to mine (3200+/1Mb RAM/6800) and I get stinking performance. Around 15fps. [...]

I've compared my setup with yours:

P4 2,4GHz, 20% overclocked, actual speed 2,88GHz

GeForce 6600GT

Forceware drivers 9.1.2.8

DVBViewer Beta 3.4.10

Cyberlink H.264/AVC (harvested from last-night trialware PDVD7, i.e, to surely identify it)

Latest DVB Source Filter (the one with unified processing of SD and H.264 content)

The Good:

Perceivably, new Cyberlink codec improves things "a bit", still jerky, at times even almost fluent with a content resolution of 1280x720. In fact, the Moonlight H.264 decoder performes worse, being much more jerky in comparison.

The Bad:

There is no indication whatever whether the improvement is due to one of the following:

a ) just a new codec, better optimzed perhaps, from Cyberlink

b ) a fuller implementation of the hardware assistance to the codec

c ) the substantially marginal contribution of the hardware assistance, if any.

d ) the codec not using hyperthreading or, possibily, not scaling on dual cores.

Original by goelectric

The trial now has C:\Programme\Cyberlink\Powerdvd\Videofilter\CL264dec.ax version 1.6.0.1528 and dated 28th March :arrow:

Original by sgauntlett

The trial now has C:\Programme\Cyberlink\Powerdvd\Videofilter\CL264dec.ax version 1.6.0.1528 and dated 28th March :arrow:

What are Cyberlink playing at?

Anyone have a Cyberlink contact other than their less than helpful support email?

Can someone post the old trial software with the "newer" filter?

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by Zyknyp

[...] Your system is very similar to mine (3200+/1Mb RAM/6800) and I get stinking performance. Around 15fps. [...]

I've compared my setup with yours:

P4 2,4GHz, 20% overclocked, actual speed 2,88GHz

GeForce 6600GT

Forceware drivers 9.1.2.8

DVBViewer Beta 3.4.10

Cyberlink H.264/AVC (harvested from last-night trialware PDVD7, i.e, to surely identify it)

Latest DVB Source Filter (the one with unified processing of SD and H.264 content)

The Good:

Perceivably, new Cyberlink codec improves things "a bit", still jerky, at times even almost fluent with a content resolution of 1280x720. In fact, the Moonlight H.264 decoder performes worse, being much more jerky in comparison.

The Bad:

There is no indication whatever whether the improvement is due to one of the following:

a ) just a new codec, better optimzed perhaps, from Cyberlink

b ) a fuller implementation of the hardware assistance to the codec

c ) the substantially marginal contribution of the hardware assistance, if any.

d ) the codec not using hyperthreading or, possibily, not scaling on dual cores.

The H.264 codec by Cyberlink, from the trial that reported support for both PureVideo and Avivo, does use Cpu-load balance on Hyperthreading system: on my P4 3.0Ghz, while watching HDForum 1080i H.264 channel, I can see the load evenly split between the two "cores".

Original by zyknyp

The H.264 codec by Cyberlink, from the trial that reported support for both PureVideo and Avivo, does use Cpu-load balance on Hyperthreading system: on my P4 3.0Ghz, while watching HDForum 1080i H.264 channel, I can see the load evenly split between the two "cores".

I've mixed signals about that.

While I'm getting, in DVB broadcasts, a relative jerkiness with one-only logical cpu in use, even underutilized from now and then, playing anixeHD.ts with latest trial powerDVD7 produces an almost flawless performance and *both* logical intensively used.

Original by aceofclubs

maybe I should have added that I am using a SS2 rev 2.6c card in pc and viewing on a 1440 x 900 pixel samsung 940MW LCD TV/Monitor.the ATI graphics card has 128Mb of onboard memory so can guess it's all down to a 'slow' processor. cpu load when watching other channels (mpeg2) is only 25-30%.

Original by ginacman

Did you uncheck the option in DVBViewer setting it to use only first CPU?

I didn't, that was the missing bit. Now two cpu's are used, with overall improvement.

When viewing 1280x720 sources, total cpu usage is in 50-90 % and no longer jerky, although slight artifacts can be felt from time to time.

Viewing 1440x1080 sources, total cpu is in 80-100% and P4@2.88Ghz loses frames significantly.

I think, however, this scenario is by all lengths promising.

Original by klaymen

The trial now has C:\Programme\Cyberlink\Powerdvd\Videofilter\CL264dec.ax version 1.6.0.1528 and dated 28th March :(

Did they really remove that from their site? Strange.. anyway, what I found in my own system is that it is enough to copy the content of the Videofilter directory to another system (maybe it must have an old Cyberlink installed, I don't know), and register its .ax file. I'm saying this because a RARed version of this directory is only about 3.75MB long, you know what I mean :huh:

To add to my observations I made with this filter - strange that nobody could confirm that (all apply to BBC HD footage):

- playback is only smooth in TSPlayer (on .ts files), playback of the same file is slightly jerky from within DVBViewer.

- playback in TSPlayer shows about equal usage on both AMD X2 cores (arounf 85-90% at the most). Within DVBViewer however, the first CPU is only loaded by about 30%, while the second core is at about 100%. changing the "use only first CPU" doesn't help (just turns one CPU off after reload, as it should, but after changing it back, it is as above).

- When I view BBC live in DVBViewer, it becomes jerky after some minutes and CPU drops to 40%. Only after I rebuild the graph, it is near-to-smooth again for some minutes.

- In all cases Directshow is slower than VMR7.

- Note I reinstalled again ForceWare 91.28 beta. It seems to me it is *slightly* faster than 84.21, but only marginal. I didn't find any place where I could change HW-acceleration status. My problem with 91.28 is that I only get a green display within DVBViewer if I use Overlay renderer (VMR7 is fine though). Any ideas?

[EDIT:] I just re-downloaded the PowerDVD trial from Cyberlink, and the file is binary-identical to the one I downlaoded 2 days ago... are you sure you got the right file?? PowerDVD_Trial.exe is 34032693 bytes long and has file version 4.0.100.1190. I should note that I gave you the wrong timestamp of the .ax file... May 31st was of course the time when I installed it :arrow: the change timestamp is May 5th (still file version 1.7.0.1626 though). File version 1.6.0.1528 actually is the one of the old PowerDVD7.

Guest Lars_MQ

Original by ginacman

It seems to me it is *slightly* faster than 84.21, but only marginal. I didn't find any place where I could change HW-acceleration status. My problem with 91.28 is that I only get a green display within DVBViewer if I use Overlay renderer (VMR7 is fine though). Any ideas?

Don't know for 84.21, with 91.28 I can use neither VMR7 or VMR9, in my setup, and only overlay mixer can be used as the video renderer. With any other than that the resulting graph gives an incompatible interface. Just as an example, here is the graph related with using VMR7:

Original by Zyknyp

It seems to me it is *slightly* faster than 84.21, but only marginal. I didn't find any place where I could change HW-acceleration status. My problem with 91.28 is that I only get a green display within DVBViewer if I use Overlay renderer (VMR7 is fine though). Any ideas?

Don't know for 84.21, with 91.28 I can use neither VMR7 or VMR9, in my setup, and only overlay mixer can be used as the video renderer. With any other than that the resulting graph gives an incompatible interface. Just as an example, here is the graph related with using VMR7:

Ok, after a morning of tries with my new shining DVBViewer + H.264 kit, I can report that HdForum (reported now as 1440x1080i H.264) just takes 40% of Cpu-load with PDVD7 H.264 codec with DxVA on, impressive result indeed. On other H.264 HD channels I've got mixed result: on ARTE testing H.264, I've got every now and then few dropped frames, on SkyIT HD test channels, that are using 720p, the frame loss is more noticeable, and Cpuload way higher.