API-Tasks-Command-Reflection

sir drake

Hello Griga,

maybe somthing for further versions.

by using the Tasks-command ( api/tasks.html?action=.... ) 
i did not know, when a started process is finished.
(also not if start has happen successfully. no feedback given ) 

should it be possible to implement this as a feedback
once in the existing status2-request or in a sep. new tasks-status-request ? 

in a very specific case i need to know if a process has ended 

prior i fire the next command to dms.

every suggestion is welcome

brgds

sir drake

similar but not exactly what i want to know.

thanks for spending time to this topic

brgds

sir drake

The requirements are the same. What you want needs

1. An ID as reference allowing to specify exactly for which task you want to get feedback. The ID may for example include the task trigger (timer, API, web interface...), task name and time of execution.
  2. Objects that are able to monitor internal tasks (as already existing for external process tasks) and to indicate their running state.

Without this basis a "task feedback API" is impossible and the question "is my task finished?" cannot be answered. Since such a system does not exist in the DMS, it must be designed and implemented first. You can't do the second step before the first one.

Hi Griga,
yes, your are right.

Maybe in future, one day..... :)

meanwhile a simple sleep(1000) does the job as well.

but uncontrolled.

so what..

thanks again

On 5/5/2018 at 1:13 PM, Griga said:

The requirements are the same. What you want needs

1. An ID as reference allowing to specify exactly for which task you want to get feedback. The ID may for example include the task trigger (timer, API, web interface...), task name and time of execution.
  2. Objects that are able to monitor internal tasks (as already existing for external process tasks) and to indicate their running state.

Without this basis a "task feedback API" is impossible and the question "is my task finished?" cannot be answered. Since such a system does not exist in the DMS, it must be designed and implemented first. You can't do the second step before the first one.

It's truly great this in-detail-analysis has begun. A task feedback API would be awesome and something at least i have missed for a decade now. The new webinterface task notifications is nice, although in current state they leave the user wanting more. One idea is maybe if splitting the webinterface "Tasks" page in two windows, where one contains the tasks as is now and the other a task in-progress list which displays both auto activated (by script or timer) and manually activated tasks. Possibly also an other tab (or sub-window) with task deployment history, timings and error description if failed/aborted. That way the need to plow the logs to see if a task did run ok gets unnecessary.